For full disclosure: I did not renew the update service, as I don't feel like paying for future features now before knowing what they might be.

Having said that, today something strange happened: I suddenly could not export PDF files any more, as I always got a cryptic error message ("The PDF filter encountered a general problem. PDF export is aborted (0004)."). The only remedy for this seemed to be running the software as an administrator, but I found that highly annoying.

So, I disabled the software on that machine, re-installed and activated successfully on the first run. Soon after that XARA informed me that a newer version for my software was available. So, I confirmed to update and on restart of XARA this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-09-2017 16-18-13.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	118822

So, in other words: Designer Pro X 365 managed to shoot itself in the foot and forces me to re-install. And after that I'm stuck with the version I downloaded a year ago, because I can't even update to the version XARA had right before my update service expired?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but somehow I didn't seem to find anything related.
Just to be sure: This is the intended behaviour of the new subscription model?
And why does XARA allow updating to newer versions the user can't activate afterwards - seems kind of non user-friendly?