Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PDF export problem

All of a sudden my newly updated and exported pdfs do not display in full on firefox, but look OK in Adobe Reader. Any ideas why that might be?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tony

Default Re: PDF export problem

An idea that doesn't really help...FF's in-built pdf viewer, if that is what it is using, has never been very good and has always broke in various releases. If reader and other actual pdf viewers and browsers render it fine then it is that issue. Report it to Mozilla.

Not sure Tony. I tested in Firefox and Microsoft edge to see the difference.
    Big difference, so I set Adobe Acrobat reader as the default PDF reader, checked the comparability settings for my version of Adobe Acrobat reader and now it works.

There was probably more that I did but don't remember. What I do remember is that the default Firefox PDF reader needed to be changed to Adobe Acrobat reader.

d
    Last edited by gwpriester; 14 August 2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: removed white space
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks, Mike, for that information. When is a PDF not a PDF....
    Tony

Thanks Larry. That takes me a bit further forward. I can import into Adobe Acrobat and re-export in the short-term, but I'm still curious as to the fact that PDFs I exported until recently worked OK and still work OK but the same files exported now do not. Thanks again for all your efforts.
    Tony

The only way I can get pdfs work in firefox is if they are old formats versions otherwise google chrome handles all pdf files no problems.

Do you mean exported from earlier versions of Xara products?
    Tony

Grace's posts and Mikes answers have been moved to https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...355#post580355

After visiting Mozilla and finding that there have indeed been significant difficulties caused by their decision to create their own built-in viewer, I was almost convinced the problem must be theirs. However if I take the xar file and print to PDF with Acrobat Pro 9, the results display perfectly in Firefox. That tells me that the fault is with the Xara conversion and not primarily with Firefox. [That's not to say that Firefox isn't overly fussy in what it will interpret to display.] It also provides me with a solution but I can't say I'm altogether happy.
    Tony

No idea what these pdfs are comprised of, Tony.

So a bit of a generalization. Printing to pdf flattens all transparency, embeds fonts in a completely different manner, and the list goes on. In-browser pdf viewers often cannot handle these features, though FF and Chrome can be the worst, in that order. Even Chrome has gotten far better faster than FF.