Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anti Virus Programs....Sheesh!

Based on a tout by a contributor to this forum that claimed he/she has not had any problems with viruses, I purchased TotalAV antivirus program. I don't know if this program is what it claims, I have NO way of knowing. However, my problems with my computer doing weird things such as bogging down and running slow, getting strange messages like recently in Xara Designer ProX that a file I was working on couldn't be saved as it was being used in another program, (which is ridiculous, as there wasn't any other program running).

I don't know what to think, as I've gone through reinstalling Windows 10 Home Edition with the direct help from MS and I still have difficulties. I'm going through the painstaking process of communicating back and forth with MS help, but it is such a hassle and so time consuming! I'm going through the same processes of running malware and antivirus programs that MS is directing me to download and run, but this has gotten old.

Now, the "da bear" who is contracted by MS to help with the online help website, has a link at the bottom of his signature that says the anti virus I use (TotalAV) is a farce.

It just seems that I'm jumping through hoops only to land in mud!

Bottom line:

Is there anyone, ANYONE, that can make the claim that a certain anti virus program/suite is top notch and a solid and reliable program? I KNOW there is no guarantees by any manufacturer that I won't sometime get a virus. I just want assurance that I'm not throwing my money away and I can feel somewhat confident that I'm reasonably protected.

Lastly:

How can I be certain that ANY program I run will actually rid my computer of the virus/malware/worm whatever! has been removed?

If you had the patience to read all this crap I just laid down, you are a saint! I personally have run out of patience; with my computer, programs and my own dissatisfaction, frustration and bad attitude!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Anti Virus Programs....Sheesh!

Download Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/ and run it.

Microsoft also has a utility you can run https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-software-remo

These two programs can help find and destroy malware.

Malwarebytes can be set up to scan your computer when you boot up and also block any bad stuff that is on the web. Not all, but most.

I have been using Webroot Secure Anywhere which also protects in real time.

I think that storing one's work and personal files offline on an external hard drive and also a backup on a Cloud Service for added peace of mind is the way to go.
    Reinstalling Windows is then no big deal, the more often you do it, the more familiar one becomes with the process.
    I use Eset as my anti-virus of choice, it is very reliable. I also use MalwareBytes as a belt-and-braces method of ensuring that I am fully covered.
    I am pretty confident that if I click on a link that I am unsure of, that Eset will tell me (in advance) if the site is unsafe. Having a backup of everything in 2 places away from your PC or Laptop provides a feeling of security which is well-founded. Creating an image of your setup and storing that offline too is a way of avoiding any problems with a clean Windows installation as well.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

When you're only using TotalAV you're not really protected against malware and the like so it's advisable to also use a program like Malwarebyte for that or a security software suite that includes this capability. Some of the big names nowadays are: Norton, Bitdefender, Kapersky, Avira, Avast. You can search the Internet for reviews.

I'm using Malwarebyte (the paid Premium version that I was able to buy years ago against a one-time-ever fee of $ 25), Avira Antivirus (free version) and Windows 10 Firewall. Even though Malwarebyte advertises to be an antivirus program, it's not really and it's, therefore, advisable to add an antivirus program.

The one that comes with Windows is good enough and no additional software is needed in normal use.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments.

From Microsoft's Help website I am receiving assistance from:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

In addition to giving me instructions he has provided me with this very important link to an article regarding TotalAV antivirus program from whom I purchased a 1 year subscription last January:
    https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2017/2/14/do-not-buy-totalav-it-is-a-fake-antivirus-software/

I think its worth spreading around. I got ripped off. Hopefully others can be forewarned.

BTW, they did recommend a few AVs such as Webroot, Norton, McAfee as well as a few others.
    It was also recommended that I run Malwarebytes. I went ahead and purchased the Pro version.
    After running a scan it identified more than 20 pup files. After following the prompt to quarantine the files and rebooting my computer, I discovered something very, very interesting.

TotalAV was also identified as a threat, uninstalled and all of its files were removed! Again..........Sheeeesh!!

Xara's Facebook

Just to add my suggestion is Kapersky..I have been using it for
    years with confidence... Just my thought...I use on my Laptop also...
    subsrciption for two years at a time covers both sytems..
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Through the years I've tried different AV programs and by now I can say that ESET is the most reliable one I've used. It is also the most resource-efficient one I've used. I've been using it for quite a few years without a single breach of security. I would jump on a website riddled with viruses with ESET installed without any fear

How can I be certain that ANY program I run will actually rid my computer of the virus/malware/worm whatever! has been removed?
    That's the thing. You will never be 100% certain because you never know about any malware that cannot be detected by any AV and is smart enough to keep itself hidden. Certain viruses are not discovered until months after the infection because they do their work quietly.
    Also I'd like to point out that the computer problems you are experiencing is not necessarily related to malware, unless I missed something in your story. It could be anything. Conflicting drivers, a background program that's malfunctioning, maybe even hardware issues. It's not necessarily related to a faulty Windows installation either. Viruses don't usually target things like .xar files which with all due respect are not very widely used. They go for more popular files like .doc

Just a quick edit: additionally, I would recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-malware as has been suggested, plus HijackThis

Thanks Alien,

I have purchased Malwarebytes Premium.

I'll look into HijackThis. Why this recommendation, though? And will a novice like me know how to use it?

Thanks for your comments, too!

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Through the years I've tried different AV programs and by now I can say that ESET is the most reliable one I've used. It is also the most resource-efficient one I've used. I've been using it for quite a few years without a single breach of security. I would jump on a website riddled with viruses with ESET installed without any fear

That's the thing. You will never be 100% certain because you never know about any malware that cannot be detected by any AV and is smart enough to keep itself hidden. Certain viruses are not discovered until months after the infection because they do their work quietly.
    Also I'd like to point out that the computer problems you are experiencing is not necessarily related to malware, unless I missed something in your story. It could be anything. Conflicting drivers, a background program that's malfunctioning, maybe even hardware issues. It's not necessarily related to a faulty Windows installation either. Viruses don't usually target things like .xar files which with all due respect are not very widely used. They go for more popular files like .doc

Just a quick edit: additionally, I would recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-malware as has been suggested, plus HijackThis

Xara's Facebook

Ron, HijackThis is just an extra layer of protection. You manually run it and let it scan your system. The results can be exported to a log file. I usually check my own results. Novice users can post their log files on forums where other users analyze the log for them. There is no specific HijackThis forum as far as I know, but other online security forums (such as forums for antivirus programs) have boards for people who want their HijackThis logs looked at. So it does require a bit more effort compared to an antivirus where you just click Scan and Clean.