Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Egg's Tattoo thread closure

I'm a little mystified that Egg's Tattoo thread - https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...m-or-hate-them - has been closed.
    I like to visit old threads from time to time and occasionally add a germane comment or two. I see no profanity or overly boisterous behaviour in this instance to warrant closure, can anyone shed any light on this?
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Egg's Tattoo thread closure

This decision was made by the moderators. Often, old threads such as the Tattoo thread become spam magnets. Note the number of new member's first posts towards the end of this old thread. Spammers and bots seek out old little visited threads and then make innocuous generic posts, laying the groundwork for future spamming.

Wouldn't it be a better method to generally deny new users to post in threads being dead for more than a specific time than to manually close single threads?

[QUOTE]
    Wouldn't it be a better method to generally deny new users to post in threads being dead for more than a specific time than to manually close single threads? /QUOTE]

Maybe, but I don't think the forum software can do that automatically. And if there is a topic that has been closed, and you have something new to offer, then start a new thread. TG is loaded with way old threads and usually the only people who post in these very old threads are "new Members" who are not part of the community and and the very least are posting just to post.

Quote Originally Posted by siran View Post
    Wouldn't it be a better method to generally deny new users to post in threads being dead for more than a specific time than to manually close single threads?
    Overall, I am with you siran. As a Mod, I would be happy to close any Posts in Web Design over 18 months of age or stagnant or with too many disparate subjects. It probably would be a manual process as only an Admin has better access and control functions. The closer needs to have a couple of stock phrases to explain the closure so it is not a shock; Gary P's suggestion of offering the opportunity to start an new Thread is the right balance.

I was happy for the Tats Thread to stay open as it was an Off Topic forum subject of little consequence.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

That's okay to me. It's your job to do.

Well explained, Gary and Acorn, I had never given the idea of spammers visiting old threads to go about their business, but it all makes perfect sense now. Thanks to you both.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

What a ridiculous decision. The thread hasn't had a post for 3 years. The last post was pure spam, which the moderators should have just deleted. Why lock the thread, isn't my question still valid and worthy of debate?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, three years is a long time. If you feel strongly about this subject, or feel there is new info/insights, then please start a new thread.

As a former moderator, you have seen the number of spam posts that show up from "new members" posting in threads that have gone fallow.

Sorry Gary but I can't agree with you on this issue. My thread is perfectly legitimate and whilst ancient is still a valid thread. If some spammer resurrects my thread after 3 years with the intention of spamming then that post should be deleted and the member banned, but my original thread should remain open for future comment as after all I'm not the one spamming and my thread should remain a valid posting and not locked. Why should I start a new thread?

Not happy about this decision at all!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host