Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Info One Year of Xara 365 Updates

ABSTRACT of XARA SUPPORT NEWS - https://support.xara.com/index.php?/News/List
    13 April 2016
    We’ve just launched a new version of Web Designer and Web Designer Premium. (12.0.0)
    25 May 2016
    We’ve just launched a new version of Xara Photo & Graphic Designer.
    Version 12.1.0.45181
    01 June 2016
    We’ve released a free update to Web Designer and Web Designer Premium, bringing them up to version 12.0.1
    04 July 2016
    We’ve just launched a new version of Xara Designer Pro
    Version 12.2.0.45774
    We’ve released a free update to Web Designer and Web Designer Premium, bringing them up to version 12.2.0 under our Update Service.
    06 October 2016
    We’ve released a free update to Photo & Graphic Designer, bringing it up to version 12.3.0 under our Update Service.
    09 November 2016
    We’ve released a free update to Designer ProX and Web Designer Premium, bringing them up to version 12.4.0 under our Update Service.
    17 November 2016
    Designer ProX and Web Designer Premium have been updated to 12.4.1.
    09 February 2017
    We’ve released a free update to Photo & Graphic Designer, bringing it up to version 12.5.0 under our Update Service.
    14 February 2016
    Photo & Graphic Designer has been updated to 12.5.1. The update includes change to the programs noticeboard mechanism.
    31 March 2017
    We’ve just released updates to the 365 versions of Web Designer Premium and Designer Pro under our Update Service. (12.6.0)
    07 Jun 2017
    We’ve released a free update to Photo & Graphic Designer, bringing it up to version 12.7.0 under our Update Service.
    The update includes change to the programs noticeboard mechanism.
    13 July 2017
    We’ve released a free update to Designer Pro X365, bringing it up to version 12.8.0 under our Update Service.
    26 July 2017
    A 12.8.1 patch was released.
    This is a minor update to the 12.8.0 release.

AVAILABLE DOWNLOADS
    Designer Pro X - http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/download/
    Photo & Graphic Designer - http://www.xara.com/uk/photo-graphic-designer/download/
    Web Designer Premium - http://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/download/
    Web Designer - http://www.xara.com/uk/web-designer/download/

I have added these two lists here to point out two aspects:

1. If I bought my update licence on 13 April 2016, I can no longer download my base copy. I seem to have lost my perpetual licence promise. Do I therefore get v12.4.1 (i.e., the earliest available download) for free?
    2. For DPX, we have had 3 upgrades in the last year to date and I would discount v12.6.0 as it has never appeared as an available download since July. Designer 11 has 5 upgrades in 6 months and I got to keep them all.

The upgrade sevice is anything but.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: One Year of Xara 365 Updates

You get the latest version that was available to you before your license expired. Everyone's license is valid for 12.4.1 so that is the minimum version but the program should update to whichever version you had last before your update service expired.

If your after a particular version however you could contact support and we can provide the download for that version.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    You get the latest version that was available to you before your license expired. Everyone's license is valid for 12.4.1 so that is the minimum version but the program should update to whichever version you had last before your update service expired.
    If your after a particular version however you could contact support and we can provide the download for that version.
    Rob
    Rob, you try explaining that to a casual purchaser! If the base purchase was before 17 November 2016, why would they expected to be presented with v12.4.1?
    Also "the program should update to whichever version you had last before your update service expired" is only true if you are not forced to run a re-install after the update service has expired; you would then only get v12.4.1.

I suspect Xara is finding it difficult to isolate bug fixes from upgrades and so is resorting to a half-house solution. Hopefully, it will all fizzle out and we can pay for an upgrade that we keep at the end of the year. So, so much simpler.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn,

Just a small point, Xara DPX11 was prior to the update service program, I believe. I recall receiving updates, but no upgrades, thus I don't believe that X11 can be compared with X12 for which I had upgrades. Is this not correct.

@Rob,

I have to agree with Acorn and the others about being able to supply patches if one has to reinstall but has not renewed. It seems to be the same problem with all Magix update service programs; upgraded features are mixed in with patches. Is there a way to reinstall a non-renewed expired Xara 12 or beyond and receive the latest patch that corrects everything? If so, how?

As Acorn points out, contacting Xara is not a solution. The "Check for updates" under the Help menu is the only way that it should be done. Does it work on a new install of a non-renewed version?

Also, if I reinstall the version using the last installation exe that I had, which is likely long before the last time that I renewed, will the updates give me the upgrades up until the last time that I renewed? Or should one download the exe file from one's account under Magix support, and if so, will updating bring everything (upgraded features) back to the date of the last renewal?
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Acorn, Just a small point, Xara DPX11 was prior to the update service program, I believe. I recall receiving updates, but no upgrades, thus I don't believe that X11 can be compared with X12 for which I had upgrades. Is this not correct.
    John, semantically, there is no difference to what an update or upgrade is.
    Xara always has applied a forward compatible approach and either an upgraded or updated product is usually not backward compatible.

XDPX11 was then end of a long series of new versions, in which we kept past versions for perpetual use. I can run XDPX10 alongside XDPX11 to help TGers fix problems. I can't do that with XDPX365 as I only every have the lasted update available. Some stuck on v12.4.1 is on there own unless another TGer has stayed at the same version and has the knowledge to help.

I just mourn the loss of simplicity amid a sea of versions regression, bug fixes uncertainty, on-line access truncated. product muddle and very few real updates.

Acorn

Acorn,

I understand. In thinking through the whole scheme, running different versions was not in the thought process. This goes through to other Magix products with sometimes unintended consequences. The upgrade to Movie Edit Pro 2018 was part of the update service, so those with 2017 actually upgraded to a new version by simply updating. The 2017 version, which was quite different, disappeared. A third party stand alone program was linked to the 2017 serial number or something, and no longer worked after the upgrade. Magix issued a patch so solve this, but it was quite annoying for many users. As well, I wonder what would happen to those who do not renew next time and have to reinstall - the 2017 version. This would be a fiasco. And, as you state, the system makes it difficult to impossible to assist those users with an earlier version to which you no longer have access.

Yes, simplicity has been lost. I was hoping for more advantages than I have seen so far to compensate for the loss of simplicity. We are informed users and are well-aware of the problems with the new scheme, but most users are not aware and may be quite confused.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)