Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Header and footer cut short on some Xara Designer Pro X web pages

One of my websites, www.elmeriselersingers.com, has developed problems on several pages - including the Home page. Both the header and the footer have been foreshortened (see 2 attached files). When I go to the header and isolate it, I see it displayed on a white background that has been foreshortened on the right side by the same amount that you see in the attached files. I have not been able to find a way to select that white background and lengthen it to the right to equal the width of the header or footer. A similar problem occurs when you go to the "Major Supporters" page. The "Opening Toronto Concert" page and the other concerts pages only display this problem on the footer. Some of the other pages (such as Elmer Iseler and Lydia Adams) lack a footer on the display, but it shows up nicely on my Xara program on my computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can solve these problems? After 26 years in business, I just turned age 83, and will be closing down our company this month. This is my last major project, and I would like it to be well done before I pass this responsibility on to someone else, but but I do not know how to fix the problems described above.

Gary and many others of you have been so helpful over the years. I want to thank you for your support.

Peter Hobbs
    peter@veritygraphics.com
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Header and footer cut short on some Xara Designer Pro X web pages

The first thing that comes to mind is this can happen if you have checked All in the document are the same.

Have a look and see if this is the case and if so then un-check that option.

And remember 83 is the new 65.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	all pages the same.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	118779  

Thanks for the suggestion, Gary. But the "All" is not selected.

Any other thoughts?

Could you post the .web/.xar file so we can have a closer look?

Attached are the files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11Nov2016_Nicole_Brumley.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	118782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_Festival_of_the_Sound_Photo_Mark_Rash.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	118788  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_Festival_of_the_Sound_Photo_Mark_Rash_72.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	118789   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_group_Romaniuk15_crop.jpg 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	118790  

Name:	EIS_group_Romaniuk15_more_crop.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	118791   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_Hunt_Club_736x260.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	118792  

Name:	EIS_McCain_May6.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	118793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_Parry_Sound_Mark_Rash_300dpi.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	118794  

Name:	EIS_Parry_Sound_Mark_Rash_web.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	118795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EIS_Poster.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	118796  

Name:	EIS_row_May2016_300dpi_Photo_Michael_Romaniuk.jpg 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	118798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fest_Sound_logo.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	118800  

Name:	Lydia_Adams_conducting.jpg 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	118801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lydia_Adams_photo_Pierre_Maravel.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	118802  

Name:	Mark Rash EIS group.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	118803  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gary's suggestion came pretty close. It had to do with a page width setting. It's too difficult for me to explain, so I corrected the problem on the various pages. I'm not sure if I got them all. If not, let me know and I'll make further adjustments.

Hi Peter, can I make several points, not as criticisms, just hopefully pointers.

1: Your header is an image. As such it can't be parsed by search engines, they can't read the text in an image, it's just pixels. So change your header to contain an image & html text. H1, H2, H3 etc which SE can read. Soft-group by all means, so moving the header moves the entire soft-group, but it still remains an image with html text above it which search engines can read it.

2: Although your header is on MouseOff layer in index.htm and set to repeating in fact it doesn't appear to repeat. If you look at "concert1_15oct" this bitmap is now on the page-background layer, as it does on most pages. I recommend keeping most page assets on the mouse-off layer.

3: You'll need to go through your site & delete all the header images off the page background layer (ie Delete from all pages) Now select the header in index.htm & repeat on all pages.

4: I further suggest you use the web properties / Page content more. Don't just give your index.htm page a filename of index, give it a meaningful Page Title and a Page Description. This helps greatly in SEO. Keywords I'm unsure of their value these days.

5: Your footers seem to have been messed up. I would recommend deleting them from all pages apart from your index page. Then, after ensuring the footer is positioned at the page bottom, and it's set as a footer, select repeat on all pages.

6: For some reason most pages on your site have Imported MouseOff & Imported MouseOver layers. I can't find any content on these layers. (Delete them, it keeps your site easier to maintain

7: Try to use Text Styles more. So much of your site uses "Normal +" or "Heading1 +" styles etc so in fact there's no real styles.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Boy and Egg, You guys rock!