Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot enter a link to another web site on page.

Just purchased Xara Web Designer Premium last week and attempting to write my first web site with the program.
    I need to re-write an existing simple web site that I have up so figured that I would use this site to give me an opportunity try out this new tool.
    I'm a software developer and this site is the landing site for 3 different versions of Used Car Dealer software I wrote.
    I'm already found it's impossible to enter a link on the Index page of the landing page.
    www.homerunsoftware.net is the landing site. One of the link I need to enter is http://www.homerunsoftware.net/xl35/

I enter a literal "Click here to go to the XL Version 3.5 Web Site, Mark this literal and the Web Properties Link and I enter the following: http://www.homerunsoftware.net/xl35/ in the Link to Web field and click Apply.
    When I click OK, the field shows on the page. but when I run it or export it I get nothing.
    I copied a link on footer and it works... Why not this one.

I've uploaded the site to a temp folder on one of my web site at .
    If you look at the page source, you'll see that nothing has been written to the page for this link.
    I've written 100's of web site and was looking for a program that would make my work easier.
    Obviously I haven't found that program yet.
    Maybe I'm making this more complicated that it actually is.

There might be hope yet
    Joe LeBlanc

Default Re: Cannot enter a link to another web site on page.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LeBlanc View Post
    Just purchased Xara Web Designer Premium last week and attempting to write my first web site with the program.
    I need to re-write an existing simple web site that I have up so figured that I would use this site to give me an opportunity try out this new tool.
    I'm a software developer and this site is the landing site for 3 different versions of Used Car Dealer software I wrote.
    I'm already found it's impossible to enter a link on the Index page of the landing page.
    www.homerunsoftware.net is the landing site. One of the link I need to enter is http://www.homerunsoftware.net/xl35/

I enter a literal "Click here to go to the XL Version 3.5 Web Site, Mark this literal and the Web Properties Link and I enter the following: http://www.homerunsoftware.net/xl35/ in the Link to Web field and click Apply.
    When I click OK, the field shows on the page. but when I run it or export it I get nothing.
    I copied a link on footer and it works... Why not this one.

I've uploaded the site to a temp folder on one of my web site at .
    If you look at the page source, you'll see that nothing has been written to the page for this link.
    I've written 100's of web site and was looking for a program that would make my work easier.
    Obviously I haven't found that program yet.
    Maybe I'm making this more complicated that it actually is.

There might be hope yet
    Joe LeBlanc
    Joe, welcome to TalkGraphics.

You have not supplied the Xara test site URL.

Normally, joiners are not allowed links to non-Xara sites but I have left the detail in this time as without it, your request makes no sense. Your Post was moderated until just.
    Please provide the Xara test site link as quickly as possibly as without it we cannot help.

At this time, all I can suggest is you check which layer this literal is on. It should be on the MouseOff layer.
    If you could attach your Xara design file, that would help as finding nothing in a website does not show why the nothing has happened (Use Reply > Go Advanced and paperclip for attachments in TG).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the reply.
    I understand what the rules are. I don't normally upload to any web site that I don't own.
    You can delete this post.
    I should have just used the evaluation version of the program but I purchased it instead. The program only cost me $ 81.00 Canadian. I'll just write that off.

If I can't figure out what I've done wrong, I'll just delete this project, uninstall the program and get on with life.
    Joe

Odd, but your links at the bottom of the page work fine.

Adding a link in Web Designer is as simple as selecting the object or text to which you want to add your link, then clicking the link icon on the Infobar at the top of the screen and adding the appropriate link.

The one thing that is not obvious and this may be your issue is click Apply after you have added the link.

Any time you see an Active Apply button in a menu or dialog, you have to press this after you have specified the action. Otherwise the link or action will not be applied.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add link.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	118762  

Info Re: Cannot enter a link to another web site on page.

Joe, as a developer, you must know how to check other's code examples.

Try this: Clickin' Limkin'.web

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat