Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice on planning a project

I have to plan a website that will be quite large. There will be sections/menus so would you suggest doing each section as a seperate website and then linking all of them together via folders? Would this method damage SEO? I am afraid of doing a big site all in one due to crashing/loosing work.

Default Re: Need advice on planning a project

That's the way I'd tackle it Behzad. You could even create a single menu page with perhaps your header and logo etc & load that menu page into a place holder on your sub-folder pages. This means you only need to change this single menu but not the ones for the sub-folder pages. I don't think it would have a great deal of effect on SEO.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

When you say "quite large", just how pages are you envisioning the site being with both main and variant?

Ray

Thank you Egg. @Ray It will be my portfolio so no variant for now, just the desktop. I am thinking once it is finished around 200 pages, each page will have large picture of my work.

Two hundred sounds like a lot pages to look through. Not sure what the norm is for your line of work but for graphic design project work here are a few snippets of advice I have found when researching portfolios.

Curate your best work: Always choose quality over quantity, and ensure projects are relevant and diverse. Don't dilute the impact of your best work by including filler material.

No filler - all killer: A strong portfolio typically has 10-12 examples of your work. You want to include only your best work. If you feel that you don’t have 10-12 examples of work that are particularly stellar, then don’t feel obligated to include them. If you have only five strong examples, then only present those five. Remember the viewer may only have a limited amount of time - maybe only a few minutes.

Good luck with your project anyway. :-)
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Jono Thank you for that. I was thinking the same but the other pages will be blog and mostly text base.

Earlier this year, I created a website for South Africa's leading car photographer.
    Like yours,being a portfolio site, it has around 190 images which are split over 9 categories.
    I made a portfolio page with smallish images acting as links to each category and then put the images for each category in a grid and made them pop ups to 1600px.
    I had no problems with the site crashing - just long export times
    If you like, you can view the page here - http://www.deskleineibst.com/car_portfolios.htm
    BTW, he ranks on page 1 for south african car photographer

Nice site LGF! It deserves a nice favicon, though.

Nice site and thanks for the feedback. I did notice that the site logo/name and menu go off screen on my monitor. I tried a test on chrome at resolutions of 1280 and 1366. Also there is a horizontal bar on the bottom that when I move left and right only moves the images and not the menu or the logo.

I don't think that it is going to effect the process of seo