Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Will I have to totally delete old website before publishing the new one?

I stopped using Serif's WebPlus X7 when I decided to switch to Xara WD 365 Premium. However, I have several websites on line using WebPlus X7. My questions is, will I have to totally delete the WebPlus website files from my "MechanicWeb" server before I can safely publish my new Xara website or will the new website overide the old one? Thanks for all responses.

bob

Default Re: Will I have to totally delete old website before publishing the new one?

Bob - Probably a good idea. If you publish your new site as index.htm and your old site was index.html then the old site will still be visible because .html takes precedence of .htm. To be on the safe side, I would use the Explore Web Space option to verify your settings are correct and then delete all the old files which you can do in Explore Web Space. Then upload your new site.

If you use something like Filezilla, to save all your current files to your computer so you have a backup of your old site.

Then publish your new site.

Default Re: Will I have to totally delete old website before publishing the new one?

Bob
    i was in the same position, i created a new site with xara and wanted to overwrite my old serif site. The new xara site simply didnt show up as on my remote server i had index.html from the serif site and index.htm from the xara site. I simply renamed my index file in xara from index (you can see this on the right hand side of your software wher you see all the page views, to index.html. When i republish the new xara created index.html overwrites the serif created index.htm so your new index / home page now points at all your new pages and information - job done! I also noticed that by doing this xara also changes all the other pages on my new site to end with html and not htm as they were previously. This is good. The advatage of doing it this way is you donmt need to get Filezilla out and ftp delete and (if it matters / large content) if things go wrong in xara then you can always republish using your old serif as an emergency measure. Though Filezilla ftp delete will work just as well.