Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Designer Premium load time

It takes over 30 seconds to a minute for web Designer Premium to open. Is there anything that can be done to speed that up? Sometimes I end up double clicking because I'm not sure it 'took' the first time. My cursor doesn't change to an hourglass so you really don't know.

Default Re: Designer Premium load time

Welcome to TalkGraphics

What version are you using?

There was a problem a while back with older versions with the brushes loading that slowed down loading time. But that has been fixed by holding off loading brushes until you need a brush feature.

Also, do you have other files/sites open? You can have many sites open at the same time which is useful but can slow loading time.

I have the same problem and am sick to death of it. It takes a full minute for it to open for me. I'm looking for different software because it is so slow ... to do anything ... open, save, move text, add text, edit text, preview ... anything. It takes a good five - ten minutes to publish. It won't do anything if I have anything else open on my computer. I get a fatal error for the program to close if I have anything else running. I usually get up and walk away because I can't use my computer ... I come back later having forgotten what I was doing. Needless to say my productivity has gone in the crapper. I can't add content to my site because it's so slow. FORGET trying to edit 100 pages for a mobile variant! I want my money back so I can buy software that works and has support.

Hi Sharon & welcome to Talk Graphics. I believe your problem is more detailed than dgbaxter's. His problem only involves the load time on launching Xara. Gary has posted some issues that may cause this.

However, it appears your problems go beyond just the launch time of the program:

... to do anything ... open, save, move text, add text, edit text, preview ... anything
    This is an entirely different matter. If it was a common problem this forum would be swamped with similar complaints, which it isn't.

Firstly I'd recommend right clicking over Xara's launch icon and select 'Run as Administrator'. This often cures many ill's and only needs doing once.

That said I can't understand the slow reaction you're encountering. Obviously a 100 page site with variants will be relatively slow to load but once loaded shouldn't slow down amendments. Publishing shouldn't be an issue either as long as you have Only Recently Updated Files selected.

What is your PC's configuration?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It has become painfully apparent that Xara is not meant for content heavy sites. Thinking that it was my pc my husband installed a ssd and there has been no improvement in the use of this software. Every article I try to add bogs the software down even more. I have dozens of pages ready to add, but can't even edit an existing page so won't try to add more.

When I try to backspace a four letter word to replace it with another the cursor ghosts and I have no idea where it will end up.

Sure ... publishing 'shouldn't' be an issue ... unless you have tons of content that this program can't handle.

I downloaded the trial version of Pro today thinking it would be better, but as soon as I opened my site the same problems were created. It worked fine as long as all I had open was the two page getting started info from Xara.

Xara offers zero customer support which in and of itself is bad business. The support site and knowledge base have zero information on any problem I'm having ... I've wasted hours searching there and the web ... and now here. Every video tutorial I've found only shows editing one or two pages of a new site ... I've never seen a tutorial using a functional site and now I know why. I think Xara is more than aware that their software can't handle much and they refuse to admit it for fear of losing customers. I'm moving on to find different software so I can actually work on my site.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonsFlorida View Post
    It has become painfully apparent that Xara is not meant for content heavy sites. Thinking that it was my pc my husband installed a ssd and there has been no improvement in the use of this software. Every article I try to add bogs the software down even more. I have dozens of pages ready to add, but can't even edit an existing page so won't try to add more.

When I try to backspace a four letter word to replace it with another the cursor ghosts and I have no idea where it will end up.

Sure ... publishing 'shouldn't' be an issue ... unless you have tons of content that this program can't handle.

I downloaded the trial version of Pro today thinking it would be better, but as soon as I opened my site the same problems were created. It worked fine as long as all I had open was the two page getting started info from Xara.

Xara offers zero customer support which in and of itself is bad business. The support site and knowledge base have zero information on any problem I'm having ... I've wasted hours searching there and the web ... and now here. Every video tutorial I've found only shows editing one or two pages of a new site ... I've never seen a tutorial using a functional site and now I know why. I think Xara is more than aware that their software can't handle much and they refuse to admit it for fear of losing customers. I'm moving on to find different software so I can actually work on my site.
    Sorry for your experience but i have sites of 50+ pages and as a trial created a text one of 750 pages and could edit easily on any page.

Before you jump, people sometimes download and open with lots of other applications already open through a firewall and as a result many DLLs are blocked or cannot update.
    Raise a ticket with Xara describing your problems and system set up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat