Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Designer Pro 14 - fact or fiction?

A user on the Magix.info forum claims to have received an email from Magix offering an upgrade from V11 to V14.

Here is what he wrote:

"Over 100 new photo Filters: Xara Designer Pro X14 Anniversary Edition
    To celebrate 10 years of design excellence with Xara Designer Pro X, we've released a special anniversary edition of the program! Version 14 is packed full of great features including new photo filters and innovative design content :
    The above is a copy paste from a recent email sent by Magix which was headed "Anniversary Edition Designer Xara Designer Pro X14. The brand new version."

Has anyone else received such an offer or seen anything about it?

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro 14 - fact or fiction?

Well we are bimbling around a v12.8, 25 July 2017 for XDPX365 and embarrassingly stuck on v12.6, 25 April 2017 for XWDP365 and a middling v12.7 07 June 2017 for PGD365.

At the same time we have all these update for the Xara Online Designer:

August 21st 2017
    July 19th 2017
    June 8th 2017
    May 9th 2017
    April 4th 2017
    March 9th 2017
    February 20th 2017
    January 30th 2017

Go figure,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

My best guess is the post is bogus. I have seen or heard nothing to indicate that Xara/Magix are dropping the 365 program.

I don't think so, Gary. The OP's problem was actually the following when he tried to purchase from the link in the email:

"I put it into the shopping cart but could not find any moneyback guarantee in the offer so I just downloaded the trial, but on trying to open it was informed that it had already expired..."

And he asked if anyone knew what the return period was and that he was having trouble raising a ticket with Magix, the timer kept circling. He has now raised a ticket. He indicated that he had previously upgraded a few times, but only after trying the trial version. This time round, the trial version went to expired upon installation.

He also just received another email offer with the expiry date in September.

I questioned the v14 and he copied/pasted the information from the email that he received. Could the email that he received be bogus? Even if it took him to the Magix shopping cart?

As for going from v12 to v14, someone may have decided that 13 was not a good number; too many superstitious people.

We will see once he receives a reply from Magix.

I also referred him to Talkgraphics.

Edit: I previously posted in TG information about what is happening to the 365 update service on the Magix.com site, and also the message that I received from Magix that implied that the update service would be made redundant. The only products on Magix.com where Update Service is mentioned are Xara products. For the others, you have to click on the small "I" in the circle beside Upgrade to see anything about. New purchasers see nothing about it.
    Last edited by browj2; 02 September 2017 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Added info about Update Service on Magix site
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

I just did a quick search for Magix Designer Pro X 14 and I come up with one very suspect link (AD). And yes it could very well be spoofed. We all get scam email every day that has all the logos and look and feel for the company they are spoofing.

The best way to follow up on something like this is DO NOT follow an email link. If the offer is supposedly being made by Magix, then go directly to their website, in the US it's www.magix.com/us/xara-designer-pro/ (odd and disturbing, this is not an https site!). At any rate there is no mention of DPX 14 on this site.

If a copy of this email offer still exists, it should be forwarded to Xara or to Magix.

Let me see if Kate Moir can offer an email to forward the suspect offer email to. Please check back.

I think the email is probably legitimate because Magix has recently released a new version of Designer Pro, and it is indeed 10 years since they started selling it. But the 14 label is perhaps a mistake because the version they've just released is the same as our 12.8. I think the next version will be 14 by the way, because Magix don't do 13s! I think the biggest surprise to me here is that they have given it a version number at all, because of course under the Update Service the version numbers are not normally headline news.
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

A case of "The left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing"?
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

@Kate,

Thank you for confirming this. I have passed it on to the OP on Magix.info.

The real problem was that the trial version went to "expired" before even being able to open it. The OP has raised a ticket with Magix about this.

Thanks,
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)