Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Website variant details for templates in the content catalogue

Is there any way of knowing the variants of web templates in the content catalogue without opening them? I know that many people on this forum don't use these templates but I often find them very useful as a starting point and recommend them to clients. However so many of the templates seem to have their main/sole variant 760 or 800 pixels wide, which I doubt is ideal for most. Xara's listing and previews of business templates on their website doesn't seem to include this information. I'm also trying to work out how 'new' the elements labelled 'new' are.

Default Re: Website variant details for templates in the content catalogue

That information would be really useful indeed!

Xara's website use to have the variants listed and I thought that you could preview them on the site also. When I check now, there is no way to tell which ones have variants and their preview has been totally changed and on my computer they are slow to load. Of course with the new changes there is no preview of the variants.

Do not like the new layout on Xara's site. I use to use their website to preview which template was the best suited for the task.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Xara's website use to have the variants listed and I thought that you could preview them on the site also. When I check now, there is no way to tell which ones have variants and their preview has been totally changed and on my computer they are slow to load. Of course with the new changes there is no preview of the variants.

Do not like the new layout on Xara's site. I use to use their website to preview which template was the best suited for the task.

Ray
    I also recall seeing the variants listed, and had hoped that someone would say I've missed something obvious.

I guess I'm fortunate to have WD Premium, so at least I can download the templates and check the variants. Folks with the non-premium version presumably have to fork out money for the 'business' templates and only then find out that many have a width that really isn't appropriate for most businesses these days...

Ray, what do you mean "many templates have widths that aren't appropriate for most businesses"? I am using Xara WD 365 Premium. Please explain what widths are more useful? Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by musicmanrobert View Post
    Ray, what do you mean "many templates have widths that aren't appropriate for most businesses"? I am using Xara WD 365 Premium. Please explain what widths are more useful? Thank you so much.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that particular widths aren't businesslike. But these days almost all displays that show 770 pixels are capable of displaying 960 pixels, and I've found that many (not all) businesses like to make use of this extra width. Personally, when I start off with a Xara template, I usually change the width of the main variant to 950 or 960 pixels, but that often means fiddling around with width of other elements on the site.

Hello again sir,
    Thank you so much for your comments on this subject. I was thinking that 960 is an ideal width for websites of any kind. I had no idea some computers would have problems displaying these websites. I am happy to have seen this thread.

Using the AppLab Theme - got the site customised to where it's all ready, then added the mobile variant and not a thing has resized properly - even using autofit width and height... when manipulating and sizing down on the mobile variant, it is changing the desktop version of the site --- help? workarounds? Or, is this a case of turning off updating and manually manipulate each item in the mobile variant to suit? oy.