Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Different Color Shades on new screen

Hi All,

I just purchased a new computer that has a an HD display. However, I've noticed the colors display in a slightly different temp or shade on my designs than my previous machine. Especially the purples. Does anyone have any input as to how they approach using colors in designing when they may look different on different screens? Or is it something we just have to live with?

Thanks!

Default Re: Different Color Shades on new screen

Most people are not aware of the differences and have no idea what the original looks like. And each monitor is slightly different.

Ok. Thanks.
    Sounds like there is nothing much to do. I was just concerned because the colors I use in the design look different than what is displayed.

You could adjust the image settings using the software that came with the graphics card.

You can calibrate your screen by using a "Colour Calibration Spyder". There are many chinese manufactured ones around at the moment some are worth the money others not. Have used this one, Pantone ColorVision Spyder PRO, many times but an earlier model and it worked well. To be honest unless your doing many runs for print it is not worth your bother. Used to work in newspaper and we had to use the spyder around once a month.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Used to work in newspaper and we had to use the spyder around once a month.
    Did the monitor change that much month to month or where they just being overly causcious?

Ray

I think you've conflated 2 monitor calibration devices there. There is a DataColor Spyder Pro and a Pantone ColourMunki (or Huey which has been retired).

And seeing how Xara products are no color managed, likely there will be color differences, even with a calibrated monitor compare to a previous monitor.

And it could be that the computer was set up using a profile that is in itself incorrect or defective. Happens.

If you do spring for color calibration software, do use a color-managed application to do so with and to check the results, not an Xara product.