Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Where can I find html info

I've been using Xara/Magix web designer for years and love the program. I want to continue using it but since we're switching to Linux I'm now having problems. Using the Wine interface I was able to install and make changes to my website offline but of course the Windows based dll's that allow me to preview, export and publish don't work. I'd like to try to update my site using Filezilla but for that I need to be able to find the html folder where the information is saved. Since Xara saves it as a web document I don't know how or where to find the index and other html information so I can update my website. Can anyone help? I already asked Magix support and they said 'we're a Windows product and we can't help you with anything else'. I know Xara was changing their graphic design to work with Linux I'm hoping the same will also be true for the web designer. software Pick up any computer magazine and you'll see there are more people dumping Windows in favor of Mac or Linux. A number of businesses hasve their servers and sites using Linux. I really want to keep using my Xara webdesigner with my Magix domain address but I can't find the html info.

Default Re: Where can I find html info

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Can you publish the website to a folder on your computer? If so you will see that Web Designer publishes the HTML files, the site map and robots.txt file to the root folder and the images and other files to a separate folder.

Double click on the index file and the site will display in your browser.

If everything looks OK you can move these files to your web server using Filezilla.

If this is your company website, I wonder if it does not make sense to retain one Windows computer for Web Designer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	published site.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	118682  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

Can you publish the website to a folder on your computer? If so you will see that Web Designer publishes the HTML files, the site map and robots.txt file to the root folder and the images and other files to a separate folder.

Double click on the index file and the site will display in your browser.

If everything looks OK you can move these files to your web server using Filezilla.

If this is your company website, I wonder if it does not make sense to retain one Windows computer for Web Designer?
    I'm unable to export or publish. There is currently one Windows computer but the goal is to be Windows free. Numerous problems took place before we decided it was time to search for another o/s. I'm unable to save in any other format other than Xara web. There has to be some way to see everything. For people who don't have a Magix domain or use the built in publish feature, there has to be a way to save it so that the html is visible so that someone can upload via Filezilla or a similar program.

Not sure what to say. At this point it sounds like you may have to find a Linux platform web publishing application.

There is currently one Windows computer but the goal is to be Windows free.
    Then you're going to have problems I'm afraid. Xara only operates on a windows platform, not any other OS. (Apart from Xara Online, which is in development but not fully functional by a long way)

On your one Windows machine go File / Export Website / and choose a folder. By default Xara exports the home page as index.htm. You can open this from the windows file explorer in any editing software you wish. That said, Xara is basically a graphic website designer and not intended to be used to produce html code for external editing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hello,

My solution would be to install a Windows virtual machine on your Linux machine. VirtualBox is a good choice for this. Install Windows 7 in VirtualBox and use it normally to run Xara.

Quote Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
    Using the Wine interface I was able to install and make changes to my website offline but of course the Windows based dll's that allow me to preview, export and publish don't work. I'd like to try to update my site using Filezilla but for that I need to be able to find the html folder where the information is saved. [...] I really want to keep using my Xara webdesigner with my Magix domain address but I can't find the html info.

As others had said Xara does not work on Linux. There was an open source Xara for Linux that never went any where and the last I checked nobody was trying to develop it.

If you want your current HTML code then the easiest way would be to down load it from your hosting company with an FTP program. You could modify this code with a HTML editor but I think overall you would be better off developing your website in a new program for Linux or doing like Gary suggested and keeping a Windows machine. There are several people all over who have both Linux and windows machines in order to do specific tasks.

Let us know how you make out.

Ray