Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Nav bar drop down menu width

I've looked at the WDP help file and no luck...
    I've created a mobile variant of a site with a single button nav bar that obviously has drop down menus.
    What controls the with of the coloured background on the drop down?
    The background is just over twice as wide as the longest entry in the drop down - I'd like the background to be just a bit wider than the longest line.

I've just tried changing the word NAVIGATION to MENU and the drop down panel background has become much narrower - as expected I guess, but what determines this?
    May thanks,
    LGF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu drop down.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	118670
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	navigation drop down.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	118669

Default Re: Nav bar drop down menu width

I think you figured it out. It's the width of the longest line. Would be much better if you could set the width. Just another example of a feature that was added then forgotten.

I prefer for the mobile variant to create my own drop down menu on a pop up layer. It is a little extra work but the results are worth the effort.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop down menu.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	118671  

I'm with Gary on this
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I was about to ask how hard it would be for Xara to make the main variant nav bar work for a mobile size.

If you just create a single button and then a nav bar you get the crappy looking drop down menu.

But if you create a HOME button, then delete all the page buttons and add new buttons on the same level as the home it works.

Put the nav bar on a pop up layer then add a hamburger button on the MouseOff layer that links to the popup layer. Repeat the nav bar on all pages which creates a new layer on each page and places a copy of the nav bar on that layer.

If you create a MouseOver layer for the button, it will work to identify the current page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nav Bar Buttons.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	118674  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's a variation with a layer added above the menu layer, MouseOver-1.

This variation shows the highlighted button state to indicate the current page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I was about to ask how hard it would be for Xara to make the main variant nav bar work for a mobile size.

If you just create a single button and then a nav bar you get the crappy looking drop down menu.

But if you create a HOME button, then delete all the page buttons and add new buttons on the same level as the home it works.

Put the nav bar on a pop up layer then add a hamburger button on the MouseOff layer that links to the popup layer. Repeat the nav bar on all pages which creates a new layer on each page and places a copy of the nav bar on that layer.

If you create a MouseOver layer for the button, it will work to identify the current page.
    Many thanks for that GW!
    Really neat solution.
    It would be great if WDP could include this feature....

Yes it really would.