Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why do I have to keep renaming my website when saving?

After I have done some work on my website in Xara software, I click either the save icon or ctl s but when I do this the software asks me for the name of website even though it is one I have opened and continued to work not a new site. And when you look at the files there is no Xara file there, only the backup. So why does it keep losing the original file?

Also when I export the site, it does over write the htm files it creates copies. Have tried inserting a screen shot for you look at but doesn't seem to be working

Default Re: Why do I have to keep renaming my website when saving?

That's most peculiar thing, it should just save (overwrite) the currently saved file without any prompts. Could you attach your web file that's displaying this behavior?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

How would I do that? I have tried uploading using manage attachments. it looks to be uploading and then nothing happens. Have dragged the file into this box, but all that does is create a download?

What am I doing wrong?

Go to Settings (top right of the browser screen) and then select General Settings. Scroll down to Miscellaneous Settings and make sure Enhanced Attachment Uploading is checked.

Enhanced Attachment Uploading: Enhanced Attachment Uploading on

i'm sorry, I have looked for the general settings and the enhanced attachment uploading in Chrome and IE but cannot see them listed.
    Last edited by ldofout; 26 August 2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: just found it

I don't know I have tried all the things suggested about the settings. Have pared down the website to below 10MB turned off my firewall but still cannot upload the file?

Quote Originally Posted by ldofout View Post
    I don't know I have tried all the things suggested about the settings. Have pared down the website to below 10MB turned off my firewall but still cannot upload the file?
    Just create a dummy file. save it, open it, change it and save it again.
    If this has the same problem, upload that. If it doesn't, go all the way back to the manual and work out what you are saving and where to.

I suspect you are renaming the page and not the file. Two different operations covering different stuff.

To upload something to TG, start a reply then click the Go Advanced button under your Post...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I don't think that I am renaming the page, because it asking for the name of website and not the page name. I have used, ctrlS, the icon, save all, export only makes a new copy of existing files, not overwriting. I had hoped that we loading the software this would have solved the problem but no.
    I have just been looking at how to create tables, downloaded the widget but decided that I needed to look at a video to fully get my head around it. So not even tried to save the document. I have documents folder open at the same time. And I look across the xara file for my website has disappeared. If I now go into Xara and save as then xxxx_web_files and disappeared as well.
    I am wondering if it is anything to do with the backup options. I dont want hundreds of backup copies so have it set to 1, and backing up to the same folder that store the original file in,
    Blow me whilst I have been typing this email it has happened again, and all I have done is to relink a PDF

OK, fairy footsteps...

Save and close any open current files in Xara so you just have a blank application.
    Close Xara.
    Re-open it by right-clicking the application icon, shortcut or executable and selecting Run as administrator.
    The application should open with an blank 'Untitled1' open.
    Close the application.
    Re-open as you normally do.
    Add a blob to the page.
    Note 'Untitled1' changes to 'Untiltled1 *'.
    File>Save: Blob.
    Check in your Save folder that 'Blob.web' has appeared.
    Make a change to your page (now Blob.web *) and select File>Save.
    Make another change and wait for the Backup period (cheat and set it to 1 minute).
    Check that Blob_ddmmmyy_hhmm.web appears.
    File>Save.
    Close Blob.web, then Close Xara.

Open Xara.
    Navigate with File>Open to your Save folder and find and Open Blob.web.
    Try again with file> Open recent:<Save folder>\Blob.web.

Now when you export, select File >Export website and pick a clean folder area (possibly <Save folder>\website.
    Do not think of changing the File name: index to anything else.
    make a change to the design, save it and export it, all as above.

Report back.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ok did all that and saved the xara file and backup in one folder and exported the site to another folder.

One comment - After the backup file had been made and I went to save the site, it again came up blank in the file name so had to type in Blob.

I have reopened the site am going to leave it well alone whilst I prepare dinner, so it should go through a few autobackups whilst i'm not at the computer
    Though having just written all that I look across and the back up has gone through and the file name Blob has disappeared and just the backup with a new time on it.
    along with txt files.