Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default pdf files in own folder on site

I have a lot of links to pdf files (newsletters) one a month for past 3 years. In Webplus I could export the pdf files to a specific folder called newsletters and then point the link to that folder. It kept things neat and tidy.
    Can I do the same with Xara, I have read the support folder information and think this is what the same thing, but that seems to refer to placeholders. Mine are links from text ie January refers to the January newsletter.

I have exported the website to my local disc and cannot see any support folder, nor can I see the pdf file.

Default Re: pdf files in own folder on site

You can use an ftp program like filezilla to create a sub-folder and name it 2017. Upload your pdf's to it. For example january.pdf, february.pdf etc. Then in your Xara files use buttons to link to this sub-folder via "/2017/january.pdf".

You can drag & drop the pdf into a xara page and it gets saved in the index_htm_files folder but I prefer the method above, as you state, it's tidier.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    You can use an ftp program like filezilla to create a sub-folder and name it 2017. Upload your pdf's to it. For example january.pdf, february.pdf etc. Then in your Xara files use buttons to link to this sub-folder via "/2017/january.pdf".

You can drag & drop the pdf into a xara page and it gets saved in the index_htm_files folder but I prefer the method above, as you state, it's tidier.
    Useful to know Egg.

Hi
    don't ask me, but I have redone all of the text only links and would you believe it, they all work again. Though I have yet to find if I can set up a separate file as Webplus could but may give Eggs suggestion of setting up a file using Filezilla. Will wait and see what happens when I publish the site to the web, maybe the solution will appear.

It will work. Create the folder, upload a test PDF file to the new folder then try out a link in your browser.

So if your domain is mydomain.com and your folder is named download and your PDF is test.pdf then the path is www.mydomain.com/download/test.pdf

And if this works then use that link for each PDF file (changing the name to the appropriate PDF file of course).

I thought I had sorted out the link not working problem by relinking them. Well spoke TOO SOON. All the links and new do not work again!!!!!
    All I have done is either gone away, cooked some dinner, or done a bit more work on the site, resaved - again have to rename the file as that problem plus not being able to upload the file has not been resolved yet. And low and behold none of the links work anymore!!!
    I have exported the one page to test and exported the whole site to test. Time here is 14:10 I am going to see how long the links last.

15.01 - have done more work on the site, and then exported all so I can test the site. Get an a message saying that the site has been modified externally do I want to keep the changes - clicked yes and all the links have gone? Why do I get this message when I have not even published to the web, and all I have done is click on few links to open pdf or change pages. I have reported this message before to Xara but not received any reply nor acknowledgement.

If I click Cancel the whole site is lost and I have open the backup file.
    Last edited by ldofout; 27 August 2017 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Update

Many apologies if I am not using the forum correctly. BUT I may have resolved some of the problems I have been having.
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the Xara software A folder with all the PDF's and linked documents has appeared called "mywebsitename_web_files" and I have watched new ones appear as I add more links.
    I am hoping that this has sorted out my other issues as well. So fingers crossed

Fingers crossed.

Ditto
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host