Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: SEO reprots broken links with mailto

Hi Egg,

thank you for the input. can you recommend and easy compression tool to use.

also appreciate any input from Xaraweb product people on how to maximise SEO Xaraweb re the points above

Henry, if you go to the website below you can run a test on your site and read the report you can download the optimised images by clicking on the Download "optimized image, JavaScript, and CSS resources for this page." at the very bottom of the page. It's a zipped file. Unzip it and copy the images folder. Paste it into your xaras website folder (you may wish to rename the images here) Now in Xara select each image in turn and with the fill tool change it from bitmap to flat fill. Then in Web Properties / Placeholder / Replace with Graphic File / Browse to your image folder and select the required image. Apply (you can have Xara Regenerate Placeholder Image Automatically here) And that's it. Repeat for each image, replacing it with the Google supplied optimised one. These optimised images are uploaded automatically on publish to the index_htm_folder without further adjustments by Xara.

Run the speed test again and it should eliminate the image optimisation warnings. a fair amount of work but if you want to get a higher google speed value, not to difficult once you get into the routine.

I can't remember if it was Scuptex or Ray Kissane did an excellent post og these Google optimsations. I can't find it now. Anyone?

By the way, group the text email link on the top right of your site & give it a mailto link. This should remove that error.
    LINK

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 29 August 2017 at 01:24 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, thank you for this valuable feedback and I will follow this up.

In relation to images optimization I did use the function in Xaraweb web to optimise images. based on this recommendation to optimize images outside of Xaraweb, can I assume this xaraweb optimise option does not work or is it for another function.

I'm of the opinion, though I'm often wrong, that Xara's optimisation feature only reduces the file size of the .xar/.web file NOT the published image size within the index_htm_file folder. Could the Devs comment further? So it works but only in reducing the .xar/.web file size, not the website image size.

I'll try and do a video but it gets quite complicated.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi All,

I will try and implement the recommended changes. But I will use another of my customer site as it is a smaller site www.etmonline.com.au as the tjm site takes 7 minutes to publish everything (155 pages).

the seo tool box reports for etmonline attached reports similar SEO problems. I will use this as baseline.

Grouping the email icon and the text on the contact page still reports a broken link.

I will continue to resolve these errors and post results

Any further suggestions on how to SEO these errors would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Egg

Hi Egg,

Great video, but a lot work which I will attempt to do.

I would like to attempt the low hanging fruit problems in my SEO challenge.

First the broken mailto link
    I have tried a number of ways to correct the broken link reported above by the SEO tool box......No luck.

What I have done now is started a brand new site and http://www.clbls2.com.au/etmonline/. I have created a mailto link as described before. Running the SEO tool on this address still reports this as broken link. i have included 2 attachments

question to the Xaraweb team, where in Xaraweb, being a closed application,where would this be error be coming from.

appreciate your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brokenlink.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	118690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	howtofix.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	118691