Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Getting known as a Graphic Designer.

Hello!
    I am from Maldives, I'm 22 and you can call me Ocular. I am a self taught graphic designer trying to get some recognition around the designing world. And be being from the Maldives doesn't help, because of the fact that locals are 99% unaware of Graphic Designing as a career and there are barely any job openings for a graphic designer position. Oh! and the school doesn't teach anything design related so all I know about design is what I've learnt from the web.

I was wondering if there are any professionals here who can give me some tips on how to get recognition. I am currently working on my portfolio. I am focusing on Logo & Branding plus Illustrations.

Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Getting known as a Graphic Designer.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

One way to demonstrate your talent is take existing logos and then demonstrate how you would do the logo. And not just one design but maybe 12 to 20 good designs.

Do the same with examples of graphic design.

Put these up on a website, and then send out email to potential clients and ask them to look at your site.

You might be able to use the design work to take on some projects in your home town and country.

Another way to get your name around is to volunteer to do free design work for local charities and non-profits.

IOW Put your creativity to work.

If you would like to post examples of your design work here I am sure you will get useful feedback.

Yes, doing free work for charities and non-profits is a GREAT way to get noticed! Another idea would be to create work for fictional accounts and demonstrate your skill sets. Here's a neat and sneaky way to use the stuff you already have: Make up a design brief of a fictional account and then use the artwork you already have done to demonstrate your skills (lot less work this way!).
    Another is to design some business cards then, when you're in public places, listen to what people talk about (a lot of them talk about their current business or their soon to start up business). Many of these businesses don't have any design at all (logos, stationery, signage). Show them your artwork on you cell phone (always have a portfolio on your cell phone) that's how I drum up biz when I need work. Tell them what you can do for them and ASK THEM if they would be interested in your services. If so, exchange info and ask them when's a good time to contact them. If they are not sure about doing business with you hand them your business card and say goodbye. If they don't need or want your services DO NOT give them your business card. That just makes the cost of marketing go up. Only give cards to people who are not sure if they want you or not. This helps sell them on you when your are not around them. And if they are interested in you start cementing the deal right there and then if you can because you should always be ready to close the sell at anytime.

Mark

Mark,

How did you set up your portfolio on the Phone? Did you just make a section under your photos?

Ray

Maybe you can add some cache and say you are Maldive's Largest Graphic Design company?

Thank you Gwpriester and Mark for the advice. I will be sticking around this forum and uploading my work as I progress on working on projects to showcase and get critiques. Once again thank you very much.

@Rkissane : I think he means so, creating an album in your phone labeled as Portfolio can be 10/10 effective, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Mark,

How did you set up your portfolio on the Phone? Did you just make a section under your photos?

Ray
    Ray,

I emailed myself my pics (as jpgs, of course) off my computer and then opened them on my phone and saved them to the gallery as a separate album. Very useful indeed.

Mark