Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XDP can't open/import SVG from Photoshop

Hi,

I'd appreciate help.
    The attached SVG file was created in Photoshop (File>Export As>SVG).
    The SVG file integrity seems ok, since it can be opened by Inkscape, XnView, even by browsers as Google Chrome.
    However, I can't open/import it into XDP (v.12.8.1). When I try, nothing happens in XDP, which is ignoring the file.
    Could anyone please try to open the attached SVG in XDP? Does it work?
    Is there any known issue about XDP not being able to read SVG from Photoshop?

Thanks for assistance!
    Carlos_Cadu

Attachment 118608

Default Re: XDP can't open/import SVG from Photoshop

Did not open for me either. See if this helps. I ran it through Illustrator and saved out as PDF.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What I see is odd is this small file is almost a megabyte. Wonder why.

Hi Carlos, what I get when I try to download your file by clicking on it is:

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for assistance guys!
    Here is another link for the PDF file: https://goo.gl/PXivbX
    I performed additional tests regarding importing SVG into XDP.
    Overall, if you create drawings from the sketch in Photoshop or Inkscape, XDP will import the SVGs generated by these programs.
    Then I opened that PDF file in Photoshop and Inkscape, and saved it as SVG. The SVG from Inkscape is imported into XDP. However, XDP can't import the SVG from Photoshop.
    It sounds as a XDP bug. Actually, I opened a ticked with Xara support to confirm if it is bug and request a fix if it is the case.
    Since I needed to convert hundreds of PDFs to SVG, I ended using the converter software reaConverter. The converted SVGs from PDfs generated by reaConvert could be imported into XDP properly.
    I also like in reaConvert the functionality to convert (including batch operations) from XAR files to main image formats.
    Cheers,
    Carlos

Photoshop uses undocumented byte encoding in the header of their SVG files. Dunno if Xara can figure out what the 5th byte is for. I don't know if ImageMagick ever figured it out, either. Which means Ghostscript may not have either. But I haven't tried either on PS SVG files. I know ImageMagick put a decent amount of development time into figuring it out. Personally, I think SVGs out of PS and imported into Xara products are an edge case. As far as I can tell, your the first person reporting it.

InkScape writes out proper SVG files--it's their standard file format and the king of the SVG file format.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Personally, I think SVGs out of PS and imported into Xara products are an edge case. As far as I can tell, your the first person reporting it.
    Overall I don't use SVGs from Photoshop, but in this specific case I had the need to batch convert several PDFs to SVGs (for XDP usage). Then thought about using Photoshop action to achieve it.
    In XDP I'm using the SVGs in local design gallery. Actually, I could use the PDFs direct if XDP could generate thumbnails from PDFs in local design gallery, but it can't.
    I couldn't think in another vector format than SVG to convert the PDFs for XDP usage in design gallery.

I think it's best to redesign image completely in Illustrator and save it out as an SVG. Chances are it will take longer to make this look good than it is worth the time it might save you.

But if you mostly use Photoshop, then you will also like these [Link removed by moderator]
    Last edited by gwpriester; 07 May 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Welcome to TalkGraphics Donna15

New members are not allowed to add links.

This discussion is primarily about Photoshop and Xara Designer Pro, a vector graphics program. TalkGraphics is a support community for Xara products.