Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font to replace Arial

I'm preparing a large text for print. I'm using Arial but actually don't like it. I've been looking for a replacement (Open Sans, Droid Sans, Lato, PT Sans) but all use considerably more space -- affecting the layout too much -- than Arial. Of course I could lower the font size but worry that the legibility will suffer too much. I tried Calibri as well but found it harder to read than Arial if I didn't increase the font size.

So, my question is, is there a good, readable font that is as economic with space as Arial is?

Default Re: Font to replace Arial

For large amounts of text I use a serif font. It is easier to read.

I like Sabon for text. I am starting to lay out a 300+ page book using Adobe Minion Pro, 11pt with 120% line spacing.

Increasing the line spacing makes it easier to read smaller font size.

Thanks Gary. It's a workbook I'm preparing and users will seldom read more than one page at a time, so I could still use a sans serif font, right?

Sure. San Serif fonts are very contemporary looking. I just would not use one for a book.

Railway is a good sans serif. It's a Google font and has a large variety of styles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Railway.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	118585  

Yes, I like the font very much (especially Raleway Light) but it's a 'large' font, messing up the layout too much.

Then make the pt size smaller. The main thing with blocks of text is not so much
    the size of the type (within reason of course) but the number of words in a line.

Then make the pt size smaller. The main thing with blocks of text is not so much the size of the type (within reason of course) but the number of words in a line.

The first two lines are easier to read. Also I prefer left justified as opposed to fully justified text.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Then make the pt size smaller.

I've been experimenting with the font size but couldn't really make Raleway work on the limited amount of pages that I have to work with without the font becoming too small. In the end I opted for Calibri. Thanks for your guidance, Gary.

OK. Glad Calibri works.