Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is there a way to export non rasterized bitmaps but rather same scale fill + feat

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Bitmaps are raster objects.

There is no means of a receiving application to utilize a pattern fill from any other file format but its own. At least I've never seen it even if the fill in a PDF object utilizes the pattern fill property (Corel and Adobe products can do this).

Well, it doesn't seems to me as something impossible. I thought it could be like a texture applied on a polygonal shape. You could export and replace the texture anytime in any 3d soft till all the feather and levels are just modifications and not baked down into pixels.

You say such approach could work with Adobe /Corel soft? I have just downloaded Illustrator trial but looks like it also rasterizes all non-destructive editing down to pixels during export while I expected It could bring bitmaps as "smart objects" to Photoshop at least. And Illustrator is also 8 bit only as much as I know.

Default Re: Is there a way to export non rasterized bitmaps but rather same scale fill + feat

Yes. Everything "bakes" non-destructive effects at export except in their own file format. The exception being that a pattern fill will survive going into a PDF--but as I stated, nothing can read that PDF property. I know of no software that can exchange its proprietary file format, live filters & effects included, into a format for what would be a competitive application.

You just need to pick the weapon(s) of choice and use it or each one for their strengths, perhaps combining them into a final application to achieve whatever it is you need to do.

As regards Xara products supporting 16-bit depth...I would be happy if XDP would simply support grayscale at 8-bits! I doubt 16-bit depth is coming any day soon.
    I long since stopped holding my breath. My guess is it is probably not a simple thing to add or I think they would have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I long since stopped holding my breath. My guess is it is probably not a simple thing to add or I think they would have done it.
    Where there is will, there is a way. I don't even think it requires color management in advance (which is also needed anyway).

But yeah, I don't hold my breath for any company. Most of the companies I deal with directly are more responsive in fixes and additions. But in the end, it's their call to make.

What amazes me is that the source code of Xara and a linux version: XaraLX was published a decade ago. It actually had everything I love Xara for. In fact newer releases introduced nothing I would ever need, even killed some features I loved before. Would somebody just do 16 bit support and a standard set of blending math for XaraLX , I would be perfectly happy.

So weird XL version turns dead almost instantly