Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Broken graphic in firefox . . .

Hi Folks, If anyone can suggest a cause for this problem I would be most grateful.

I did the recent 365 update and immediately found a problem. The leaf graphic I use on my web site to run down the left side of all pages under my navigation buttons, is playing up on a couple of browsers. The leaf displays fine on visible areas of the screen (which will vary, depending on monitor size, aspect ratio and magnification) but when users scroll down the page, the lower part of the graphic not scene when the page first loads has disappeared. I have not tried all browsers, but the glich is present on 32 and 64 bit Firefox versions. The page displays as it should when viewed with Chrome.

The website is www.stephenbaggs.com.au and provides information for my funeral company.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Stephen.

Default Re: Broken graphic in firefox . . .

Hi Using firefox and everything sems ok here there is a leaf on the left and a 'leaf divider' bar on my browser.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I can see the problem in Firefox and IE9 but not in Chrome and Opera.
    To check scroll down a little bit and then resize the browser window height to see the strange effect.
    Could you try to add
    Code:
    <style>#xr_bph{overflow:visible !important}</style>
    to the Website HTML Code (head)? Not sure if that can have undesired side effects.

This is not related to your issue but do you have your page setting to all pages same size? The home page here extends way too far down the browser and there is nothing there.

I can see the problem in FF but I can't put my finger on what's creating it. I've downloaded your page content and one thing I would recommend is cropping your leaf image. Currently it's far wider than is required (1679px) but you can reduce it down to (204px) with no effect other than reducing the file size. 158Kb down to 73kb. Preview attached.

Also agree with Gary, reduce your page heights to match the content.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I'm working through each of them.

Interesting that the problem occurred with the first upload from the new 365 update. Aside from the format errors (ie. uncropped graphics, page lengths etc . . ), I have had no issues using the leaf graphic I created two years ago. I was not sure if this meant a problem with 365 or the coding was simply highlighting an issue with Firefox (and it now seems IE9).

After hand coding my site since since 2003, Xara represented my first shift to allowing software to do the coding for me. After years of trialing site construction software and never finding a package configurable and creative enough to excite me, I made the shift to Xara in 2012 and have been continually delighted by the ease of use and bulletproof nature of the package. The only thing stopping me from having a drop dead gorgeous site (please excuse the terrible pun!) is that diligently caring for our client families and other life matters ie. children, grandchildren and a couple of hobbies keep me very time poor . . . a problem I know is shared by many!

Any further suggestions as I attempt to sort my site problem would be appreciated. Love receiving my Outsider Gary! Thanks again everyone,

It's an exciting time to be alive . . . !

Stephen.

I think the only way we'll find the culprit would be to look at your xar/web file. If it's to large to upload the whole site, just a copy of your home page would suffice.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Everybody.
    I have found the problem, or a fix . . . Under the previous version of Xara Designer Pro X, the software allowed me to nest all of the elements repeated on every page under the pasteboard background layer. I don't know if it is usual to do this or good practice, but it is how I set up my page and it worked fine. For some reason, after the recent Xara Designer Pro X 365 update, this is either no longer allowed or is now broken in some way . . . ?? When I moved the repeating groups up a layer, under the page background layer, everything works perfectly with no other changes.

If someone has an explanation to set me straight on this . . . Have I unwittingly broken some layer nesting taboo in Xara Designer Pro X (???) . . I really need to know.
    It took a lot of trial and error to isolate but I have a good result. I will set to work and instigate the couple of changes suggested in the posts like page lengths, file sizes and such.

I appreciate your interest and assistance.
    Best wishes from Oz,
    Stephen.

Glad you got it sorted Stephen.

.... the software allowed me to nest all of the elements repeated on every page under the pasteboard background layer.
    The pasteboard background layer should be your bottom layer, with the page background layer immediately above that. Your better off not touching these layers and place the content in the mouse-off layer
    Egg