Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

I try to go outside everyday with my camera, today was this butterfly, hope you enjoy these two photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly3.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	118569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	butterfly1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	118570  

Default Re: Eastern Tiger Swallowtail

Nice photos, Tim. We get swallowtails here in Southern Spain, but the yellow is much paler, more of a parchment colour.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Magnificent. These look like paintings.

Love those Tim. Maybe those look like paintings to Gary but I think those effects would be difficult to achieve with paint in any media I am familiar with except for perhaps computer paint programs. I guess I'm old fashioned but when I think paint I think of Oil, Acrylics, Gouache and Watercolor, but, they would be magnificent hand painted paintings.

Maybe an airbrush would help, don't know and I can't try and see because my hands and eyes are no longer up to the task.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

They look nice! If you don't mind sharing...what editing software did you use? Or let me frame it otherwise...how did you get the images to look like they do?

Hi Lynette - Tim asked me to get back to you. He's in hospital recuperating. He will get back to you soon with an explanation.

I do know this. Tim has had extensive experience with photography and probably has many go to programs.

In the meantime, here's a link to one of Tim's more recent posts https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ing-in-RAW-now

Hi Lynette,
    Perhaps this will be more information than your asking for but here goes:
    1. I shot this image at 9am, I usually go out early in the morning to get the sun low in the sky, giving such beautiful lighting.
    2. I shoot in raw format which I believe is the only way to go.
    3. I used a 55mm to 300mm kit lens, which I have discovered over time, 240mm seems to be the sweet spot. Kit lenses are the cheapest lenses manufactures make, but with a little effort you can make them work just fine.
    4. I set the ISO to 1000 which gave me a shutter speed of 1/2000 sec. Shooting raw, gives me the ability to reduce the noise at such a high ISO.
    5. I shot at f7.1 which allowed the background to be blown out, it is actually my neighbors house and the bushes in front of it, but out of focus, I think they create a beautiful background.
    6. The Mexican Sunflower is in a pot, I turned the pot and just waited, in hopes that a butterfly would land on this particular flower.
    7. For post I used Lightroom, but the same results could easily be accomplished with Xara and a number of other software. I like lightroom for the filing system and cataloging ability. As for post, there is very little, I darkened the edges to keep the eye in the frame, I believe I added a little clarity and darkened the peddles on the flower.
    That's pretty much it, I hope this helps. Tim OH, and a late welcome to Talkgraphi