Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default multiple page site - should I use 2-3 Xara setups ?

Moving over from another application, I am wondering about some options in using Xara. I am currently building an Event site for 2018 and wondering about do more or most in Xara, to less stand alone sub-pages like in past.

To set the stage, think about most event sites you have visited... home page, clinics page, exhibits page, vendors list page, hotel page, register page, contact page, and such. I have about 10 pages for this site. Now go to Variants for Desktop, Tablet and Phone, so now from 10 pages to 30.

Now the Exhibits page might have 40-50 sub-pages from there, each with a single page with details about that select exhibit. If I use Xara, I can do Variants for different devices, so say 40 sub-pages becomes 120 real quick with variants.

So what am thinking is, to setup each of those Exhibit pages in a 'second site' in the sense with Xara, that is to setup a separate web site file, with just the sub-pages in it. That way, I have the main website and one file for that with the 30 pages total. Then I have a second file that has the Exhibit sub-pages. Maybe go one step further, in that I create maybe two or three new web files, say having Exhibits A to I, another for J to Q, and one for R to Z.

It's not like I am going to be jumping from sub-pages to main pages, back and forth. It would me go setup a sub-page, save it and get the site link, then go to the main page and add that Exhibit name and a link to that other site... to the sub-page.

This would mean, for a total of say 50 pages (10 main, 40 sub), then variants, I will have 150 pages on this site combined.
    And instead of 50 pages and 3 variants, 150 total in one single Xara file, I would have 4 files to spread the weight around.

Guess not sure it is practical to do 150 pages in one single Xara file... or in general. So thought would ask opinions...

thanks in advance,
    Frolin

Default Re: multiple page site - should I use 2-3 Xara setups ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolin View Post
    Moving over from another application, I am wondering about some options in using Xara. I am currently building an Event site for 2018 and wondering about do more or most in Xara, to less stand alone sub-pages like in past.
    To set the stage, think about most event sites you have visited... home page, clinics page, exhibits page, vendors list page, hotel page, register page, contact page, and such. I have about 10 pages for this site. Now go to Variants for Desktop, Tablet and Phone, so now from 10 pages to 30.
    Now the Exhibits page might have 40-50 sub-pages from there, each with a single page with details about that select exhibit. If I use Xara, I can do Variants for different devices, so say 40 sub-pages becomes 120 real quick with variants.
    So what am thinking is, to setup each of those Exhibit pages in a 'second site' in the sense with Xara, that is to setup a separate web site file, with just the sub-pages in it. That way, I have the main website and one file for that with the 30 pages total. Then I have a second file that has the Exhibit sub-pages. Maybe go one step further, in that I create maybe two or three new web files, say having Exhibits A to I, another for J to Q, and one for R to Z.
    It's not like I am going to be jumping from sub-pages to main pages, back and forth. It would me go setup a sub-page, save it and get the site link, then go to the main page and add that Exhibit name and a link to that other site... to the sub-page.
    This would mean, for a total of say 50 pages (10 main, 40 sub), then variants, I will have 150 pages on this site combined.
    And instead of 50 pages and 3 variants, 150 total in one single Xara file, I would have 4 files to spread the weight around.
    Guess not sure it is practical to do 150 pages in one single Xara file... or in general. So thought would ask opinions...
    thanks in advance,
    Frolin
    Frolin, I do not believe Xara's Variant approach would work well for you in your context.
    You may have to create a simple landing page to either allow a viewer to pick the format that suits them best or include simple code to automatically redirect to the right sub-site.

I would divide and conquer, realising the overhead for maintaining 4 sites or Variants is about the same but the testing is easier if the sites are split.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat