Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 4000mm Print Document

Hi,
    I need to make a stand 4 meters long. Vector is no problem, but the document consists mainly of bitmap data. 4000mm to px = 47244px@300dpi. It is madness. I create 1:2 document. But this is relative big too. Who has any experience? Please.

Default Re: 4000mm Print Document

A bitmap has a limit of 30,000 pixels. So 47,244 is above that.

A couple things. One, for large/grand format printing, you do not need greater than 150 dpi. Depending upon the average viewing distance, you likely can go below that.

If the images are above the pixel limit, you can chop them in either an image editing application and put them back together in XDP (which is what I usually do to ensure where I chop them falls on a whole pixel), or clip copies of them inside XDP, then make individual bitmap copy of the results and delete the larger version(s) after enduring they align.

The following has a full-length background (180" with 2" bleed all aroundbleed, so 184" long PDF)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-001304.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	118537

Name:	capture-001305.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	118536

This was destined to be installed at the top of a booth. The viewing distance dictated I could go to below 100 dpi, so the 3 images that make up the background are at 96 dpi. The text is live.

What will be the average viewing distance of this job?

Mike

Thank you Mike for detailed information.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    What will be the average viewing distance of this job?
    That's a good question. It depends on whether the person will sit inside the pavilion or will stand outside.

Name:	Compressed Foam Sample.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	118539

Ie, you are proposing to create a 1:1@150dpi document. In my case 4000x2470mm. Correctly?

No. I will not do it in XDP. My version(X11) does not know how to do it.

Yes on the 150 dpi at 1:1.

But if your version cannot do it, I would suggest using CD wherein you don't need to do anything as regards slicing up the bitmaps.

Do check with the print service provider as regards the dpi. Never had one recommend greater than 150 dpi for up close viewing. Which is what I would use for the elephant in that image. And they may recommend lower for that image.

The elephant is not image, that I use. It's just an example of a stand.

Yes, I will use CD.

Right now I received a message from the client. He writes that the image must be at least 120dpi. I just wanted to make sure and not to waste time.

Thank you Mike for the help.