Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Design website - no template

Can someone point me in the direction that there is a tutorial on creating a website without starting with one of Xara's templates, please?

Thanks much...
    Sue

Default Re: Design website - no template

Just put things on the page where you want them. Xara is a WYSIWYG web design program.

I do understand it's what you see ...but there are settings and things that I would like to learn that are done in a template, so I thought there might be a beginner's video to show me how that's done.

Hi Sue, I'm not an experienced web designer user, but in the absence of a basic tutorial, which I'm sure there must be one somewhere, what I would do is take apart (deconstruct) one of the more basic website templates, like for example the one called 'Free Example', and look into the website properties for each component and move things about on the page.

If then wasn't sure what something did I would try changing or even deleting the value or setting to see what happens. If changing a value I would try increasing /decreasing by a fairly large amount to make the change more obvious when previewing. Obviously I would only change one thing at a time! So a kind of trial and error approach until I understood what was going on. The other great thing is if you mess things up you can just delete it and start again with a fresh copy of the template.

Have fun exploring

ps It's a bit boring, but the help file can also be a good source of info sometimes.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Thanks Jonopen, I have done a little bit of what you have suggested but felt I didn't know much about the pasteboard and background, so I thought a tutorial would be helpful to get me to start from the ground up. I know about some of the navigation stuff but nothing fancy yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonopen View Post
    Hi Sue, I'm not an experienced web designer user, but in the absence of a basic tutorial, which I'm sure there must be one somewhere, what I would do is take apart (deconstruct) one of the more basic website templates, like for example the one called 'Free Example', and look into the website properties for each component and move things about on the page.

If then wasn't sure what something did I would try changing or even deleting the value or setting to see what happens. If changing a value I would try increasing /decreasing by a fairly large amount to make the change more obvious when previewing. Obviously I would only change one thing at a time! So a kind of trial and error approach until I understood what was going on. The other great thing is if you mess things up you can just delete it and start again with a fresh copy of the template.

Have fun exploring

ps It's a bit boring, but the help file can also be a good source of info sometimes.

Thanks so MUCH, GWPRIESTER!!!
    Will have a look and see what I can learn!
    Awesome...
    Sue
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

GWPriester, the links don't work once I open up the page

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

The links don't open for me either.

Maybe try Chapter 4 of Xhris's training course:

http://www.xhris.digitalred.net/#xl_xr_page_index
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat