Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How useful is "file>import from web address" functionality?

Hi,

I tried to import web content using "file>import from web address", but for almost all URLs I inserted the functionality didn't work. There is an error message:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir3vdoh.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	118515

And for the only URL accepted http://www.xaraxone.com/us/art/tomas_kopecky/ the content was poorly imported, no use at all.

Is there really usage for "file>import from web address" functionality? Or is it a legacy functionality to ignore in my workflow?

Thanks for info!
    Carlos_Cadu

Default Re: How useful is "file>import from web address" functionality?

DPX365 Manual - Importing from a website - P546 Importing and Exporting

You can import text and graphics directly from web pages on the Internet into your document, or copy and paste text and graphics directly from a web browser onto your page.
    To import from an online web page: Choose "FILE" > "IMPORT FROM WEB ADDRESS" (or "Ctrl + Alt + W"). Type in the web address (URL) of the page or graphic you want to import. Click Import.
    If the URL entered is that of a web page, all the text and images on that page will be imported and positioned on your page in approximately the same positions as they are on the web page. In other words, this function gives you a way to roughly import an entire web page in terms of its text and graphics. However note that most modern web pages are made up of a complex combination of text, graphics, JavaScript and other features, so such imports are unlikely to give you a complete and accurate representation of the page in Xara Designer Pro X.
    When importing from web pages, the length of your page in Xara Designer Pro X will be automatically extended to accommodate the incoming text and graphics, if it is not already long enough.
    My bold highlighting

that probably means that apart from images and very simple pages the answer to 'legacy' is yes... but I don't build websites...

.... https:// URLs could also be a problem, and they are rapidly becomming the norm in many mainstream websites....

I've got it.
    Thanks for reply handrawn!

It brings in most of the content on the visible layer. But things like mouse over buttons or content on popup layers no. Still, if you have to rebuild an existing site from scratch it's helpful in getting some of the content.

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    Hi,

I tried to import web content using "file>import from web address", but for almost all URLs I inserted the functionality didn't work. There is an error message:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ir3vdoh.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	118515

And for the only URL accepted http://www.xaraxone.com/us/art/tomas_kopecky/ the content was poorly imported, no use at all.

Is there really usage for "file>import from web address" functionality? Or is it a legacy functionality to ignore in my workflow?

Thanks for info!
    Carlos_Cadu
    Carlos, http://borisfx.com/release-notes/bcc...release-notes/ imported easily enough for me. As a fair bit of CSS is not applied, I thought the overall presentation was good enough.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat