Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem creating hyperlinks in column of names

Hi

I have used hyperlinks on my website without any problems - until now. My history society website includes lists of our village war dead for WW1 and WW2. I want to hyperlink each name to another site with more detail of the men. When I highlight the first name in the column and create a hyperlink, all names in the column have the same hyperlink created. I don't know whether this is a column thing but I can't figure out how to put it right.

The page on my website is http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/in-memoriam.htm I would be grateful for any help you can give me.

Regards
    Jenny

Default Re: Problem creating hyperlinks in column of names

Hello Jenny

I suspect your three column text is grouped because it is exporting as a bitmap and not as text. This might be the cause of your problem. Grouped text exports as a bitmap.

Hello

Hate to admit it but I don't know what a bitmap is (although I will Google it). Does this mean the problem will go away if I retype the list of names?

Jenny

I think so. A bitmap is a photo basically and is one object. As opposed to edited text that you can select and format.

I have just tried deleting the first column of names and retyping a few but it doesn't help. Creating a link on the first name creates the same link for the others. Because the page has three columns I used three text boxes. Could that be part of the problem do you think?

Not sure. Give me a minute.

I just tried this in WD 365 with three columns and the links work fine.

After you apply a link to the text are you hitting Apply? If you don't hit Apply after each link this could be the problem.

Yes, both Apply and OK. By the way, the created link is applied to all the names in the three columns/text boxes not just the column/text box the name is in.

OK. Last suggestion/question: Highlight the name with the Text Tool (click and drag the text tool cursor over the text you want to highlight), add the link, click Apply. Is this what you are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    Yes, both Apply and OK. By the way, the created link is applied to all the names in the three columns/text boxes not just the column/text box the name is in.
    This is how you should build up a 3-column block to check things are being done correctly.

Using the Text tool, drag a large area.
    Then use Ctrl+Shift+L to fill it will lots of text.
    Right-click in the text block and pick Columns.
    Change the number of columns to 3 and click the Convert button.

Now highlight a word or phrase and with the Web Properties > Link, add a # to Link to Web or Email address. Click OK.
    Preview the page and hover over the linked word or phrase. If the pointer changes to a hand, you are in business.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Gary & Acorn are correct. Somewhere along the line you've grouped this text and it's exporting as an image, not text with hyperlinks.

Please attach your web/xar file here at TG or give us a link to your web/xar file via DropBox or Google Drive. It's so much easier than second guessing what you may be doing wrong
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host