Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Typical server folders setup (for ftp etc.)

I have noticed a few posts concerning locations of folders for ftp etc. so I thought I would create a thread to clarify.

Based on a typical (cPanel) Linux server. Most users need not be concerned with the Advanced bits.

INFORMATION RELEVANT TO XARA USERS
    When you log in to your server with ftp, it usually takes you to your home folder. Although this is technically a subfolder on the server, the full path is invisible to you.
    Your home folder holds all your information including emails, logs, stats, settings and of course your website(s).
    The main website is usually under the folder public_html. This is what is often referred to as the root folder of your website.
    However, when you ftp into your website it usually takes you to your home folder, so you need to choose the public_html folder to upload your files to.
    Xara websites need to have all their htm files placed in this root website folder (public_html) The images, css, js etc. are all stored in index_htm_files folder and this just gets uploaded the same as the rest of the htm files.

MULTIPLE DOMAINS (FROM STANDARD HOSTING ACCOUNT)
    If you have multiple websites as add-on domains to your main account, from your home folder, they will usually either be in
    addondomain/
    or
    public_html/addondomain/
    The default for cPanel is the usually the second option but if you ever have the choice, choose the first option. Firstly, it compartmentalizes your website so no websites are contained under another and so issues on your website in public_html would then not affect all other websites stored under it.

SOME SECURITY RECOMMENDATIONS
    If you ever need to give someone else access to your website, if you can, it is best to set up a new ftp account in cPanel and point it only to your website (public_html) folder so they can't access your emails and other information. You can then remove this ftp account (or change the password) when they have finished. You may also prefer to do this if you want to save your ftp details in your xara document, but as the ftp account now points to public_html you don't need to include the public_html path anymore.

ADVANCED - SOME MORE BACKGROUND INFORMATION
    The server root folder is actually / (But unless you administer your own server you won't be concerned with that)
    Your home folder, where all your data is stored will be actually something like /home/username/ but that part is usually not visible to you, but you may need to included it if you use scripts such as PHP.

ADVANCED - MORE HOSTING TYPES
    If you have a cloud / VPS / dedicated server etc. you may have access to WHM (WebHostManager) in addition to cPanel. This allows multiple separate accounts rather than having all your websites under the same account. In this instance, each account/domain will have its own home folder such as
    /home/website1
    /home/website2
    etc.
    These hosting types are a little more expensive but have several advantages. One being that resources and access can be compartmentalized. So if one website was having problems for example, it could be disabled temporarily so as not to affect all other websites on the server.

Default Re: Typical server folders setup (for ftp etc.)

I have a feeling you're taking to me.

Excellent post Sculptex. Thank you for going to this effort
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have a feeling you're taking to me.
    Lol - I was thinking of you, but for the benefit of all!

Thank you, thank you. This is very useful information for those of us still learning seemingly endless the rules of website design.

Thanks for writing this post sculptex!