Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XARA 365 going very slow & crashing when saving files

Hi
    I have Xara Designer Pro X 12.8.0.50771 DL x64 Jul 12 2017 running on an up to date Win10 PC with 20gB ram
    I have got to a point in a long running web design where Xara is failing to save, crashing and leaving me with zero byte XAR files.

I have tried restoring from back-ups but often end up with same disastrous situation on my hands. Typically, when saving the site (which I'm now doing after every operation)and sometimes when I just want to preview it, Xara gives me a message in the bottom left hand corner saying 'converting symbols' and when that message doesn't go away, I know I have the problem.. Xara inevitably crashes and most of the time leaves me with a zero byte XAR file.

Regarding symbols, I have not used any that I know of in the site, but Xara often also gives me a message that symbols have indeed been used and consequently it will have to upload the 51kB symbol font when the site is published. I can turn the message off, but it begs several questions 1. Why is it raising the question of symbols if I haven't used any? 2. How can I tell if and where (and on what pages) a symbol might be present when Xara, unlike my other graphic design program doesn't have an object property find, or find and replace function.. i.e. I don't know how to find any errant symbols let alone how to get rid of them quickly! 3. I have already tried going back several back-up levels, but sooner or later I end up with the same messages and the same result; what should I do?

I should mention that the site is fairly basic, with use of the sticky feature on all pages, and extensive use of the pop-up layer feature on one. It is now two weeks past the delivery schedule through various issues, but this this very frustrating to say the least. I would be grateful for anyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Frank

Default Re: XARA 365 going very slow & crashing when saving files

None of this should be happening Frank. Perhaps if you uploaded the web file (or linked to it on Dropbox or Google Drive) perhaps someone may be able to find the problem. Without it it's difficult to state what the problem is.

I take it you've tried "Run as Administrator"?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,

Yes it's been tried under 'run as administrator' setting as well with the same result. This is the same website that you were kind enough to look at before.. only now the complete site. It can be found at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7e...ew?usp=sharing I apologise if the pages are a bit messy and inconsistent.. The client had asked that the main contact details be presented on all pages and I had originally decided to make each header & menu 'sticky' but as you might recollect ran into layer problems with the 'projects & achievements' page, which when fixed gave me a pop-layer order problem overlaying the header which would have pointed to the need for a rather unconventional layer arrangement.

I didn't re-post at the time as I decided that, rather than persist, the best course of action was to simplify, and remove the sticky feature from the headers. That is where I first got issues with the Xara 'Updating symbols' message and essentially slowing, stopping, and eventually leaving a saved file with zero bytes. This has since become a fairly repeatable error, at least on my PC. I might add that there was a recent update applied to Xara to bring it to the level mentioned in my post at the top and I'm beginning to suspect a problem there. I say this because I'm not sure if Xara has a method to restore a previous level for testing?

b.t.w. I have tried with 'administrator' setting and also on another late level machine and in both cases only managed to duplicate the problem.
    Thanks for taking a look again.

Frank

Hi Frank, all I can say is that I can replicate this. It says 'converting symbols' and I could run a bath whilst it updates. Sorry can't help more but one for Xara support. I can't find any symbols in the Name Gallery.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host