Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default adjusting text line spacing

Hello:
    I have looked all over the place, but cannot find a way to adjust the vertical spacing in lines of text. Is it possible to adjust this?

Thanks in advance!
    Ed

Default Re: adjusting text line spacing

With the text selected, you can adjust the line spacing (see attached).

The default adjustment is percentage but you can also specify an amount in points if you want. Just enter the amount followed with pt. For example, if you want to specify 12pt Arial on 18pt then highlight and change the percent to 18pt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line spacing.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	118429  

...and the usual term for this (that Xara seems to be unaware of) is "Leading."
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    ...and the usual term for this (that Xara seems to be unaware of) is "Leading."
    Pronounced, by the way: "ledding" It refers to the strips of lead, measured in points, that were inserted in between lines of type.
    Sorry.. showing my age but this was explained to me in the typesetting room of The Illustrated London News way back in 1948

It is only right that you should air your knowledge. There are plenty here who will be pleased to learn of this. Just because it is somewhat arcane - recondite even, does not mean that it should be ignored. If Adobe and others can call it leading, why not Xara?
    Sorry, it is a pet peeve of mine.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Yes, I agree that the old terms should still be used. Back when the new technology was introduced the existing terms were naturally transferred which made the changes easier to use and understand. Some of them seem quaint when taken out of the old style context but that's natural change. My first 'proper' design software was Freehand by Aldus when it came on around fifty floppy disks and took for ever to install. Shame that it became a casualty of commerce.

I am sure I am much younger than you two oldsters, but on the 60s when I was studying to be an advertising art director we set type for some ads by hand. This was a good practice because it insured the copy for the ad was short and to the point.

Aldus was acquired by Adobe and the rest is history. Xara almost had the same fate when Corel acquired the marketing rights to the company.

The company is named after 15th-century Venetian printer Aldus Manutius

Hello all:
    Thanks for your replies and the history! I too am a "high miler" and love to hear information like this.
    Ed