Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XARA's Designer ProX turning text to shapes automatically????

Hi-

At first I thought I had inadvertently clicked a wrong button or something
    but noticed as I continued with various lines of text here and there, I'd go back to one
    and click to change, only to find it had been converted to shapes. This has continued
    to happen and am at wit's end.

Is there perchance a menu item somewhere that says convert
    all text to shapes when saved or whatever?

I'm using Designer PROX but didn't renew since the bulk of the
    offerings for same is web related which I rarely, if ever, use. $129 to high for my needs.

Funny, but I see this started happening right after my annual ran out. Hmmm.

Methinks however there MUST be something else causing this.

Anyone encounter same or have any guesses?

ANY THOUGHTS MOST APPRECIATED!

Thanks, Bob

Default Re: XARA's Designer ProX turning text to shapes automatically????

Quote Originally Posted by BobH View Post
    Hi-

At first I thought I had inadvertently clicked a wrong button or something
    but noticed as I continued with various lines of text here and there, I'd go back to one
    and click to change, only to find it had been converted to shapes. This has continued
    to happen and am at wit's end.

Is there perchance a menu item somewhere that says convert
    all text to shapes when saved or whatever?

I'm using Designer PROX but didn't renew since the bulk of the
    offerings for same is web related which I rarely, if ever, use. $129 to high for my needs.

Funny, but I see this started happening right after my annual ran out. Hmmm.

Methinks however there MUST be something else causing this.

Anyone encounter same or have any guesses?

ANY THOUGHTS MOST APPRECIATED!

Thanks, Bob
    Bob might you be grouping your text with another object. Click the Text (Area, Block, Line) and check in the Page and Layer gallery. Use the Locate button and advise which text type you are using.

I have never seen this happen.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn

I just tried to respond by hitting the purple reply button but the post vanished.

Okay, forgive this repetition if it does show up.

Thanks for the quick reply...

Yes, I just found one that HAD been grouped but have no idea HOW it got grouped
    but am working fast so it's possible I guess.

Strange to me as well but I'll keep at it and see if I can find
    out anything more and also check it when it does to make sure
    it's being converted OR it's merely grouped with other text or an object.

I'll report back if I find the error of my way or ... something else.

Thanks, Bob

This is very odd. GiddyupGilbert just posted about the same thing. Must be more than a coincidence

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg-

I think there's something happening but will wait until
    I do some additional work on another project and see if
    it happens again.

Like Acord said, I did indeed group a
    couple lines in one instance but the others that had happened
    weren't grouped to the best of my recollection.

STILL, I have to be 100% that it wasn't
    human error on this end before I make a final comment about
    this nuance.

If anyone else beyond GiddyupG experiences this,
    make a mention here.

Thanks, Bob

This happened to me. I have text grouped with other text & shapes, or text with drop shadows, and upon saving the .xar and reopening, the text was all converted to shapes and could no longer be edited!

Very annoyed, as some of the text had 4-color fills and whatnot, but the person realized they gave me the wrong phone number or details and I cannot go back and edit any of it, have to recreate from scratch!

Is there a setting I need to change, or do I just have to be super careful from now on and always preserve special "copy layers" of every text item, then hide them and be extremely cautious about not styling them, lest I happen to group text with other elements and lose all editability? Seems a real glitch to me!

(BTW, I'm not in the habit of ending every sentence with exclamation points, but this is ridiculous)

Windows10, Xara Designer X 64

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerRants View Post
    This happened to me. I have text grouped with other text & shapes, or text with drop shadows, and upon saving the .xar and reopening, the text was all converted to shapes and could no longer be edited!
    Very annoyed, as some of the text had 4-color fills and whatnot, but the person realized they gave me the wrong phone number or details and I cannot go back and edit any of it, have to recreate from scratch!
    Is there a setting I need to change, or do I just have to be super careful from now on and always preserve special "copy layers" of every text item, then hide them and be extremely cautious about not styling them, lest I happen to group text with other elements and lose all editability? Seems a real glitch to me!
    (BTW, I'm not in the habit of ending every sentence with exclamation points, but this is ridiculous)
    Windows10, Xara Designer X 64
    When I hit a snag like this, I go back to my backups and examine them using a binary search pattern to uncover where the permanent change occurs.

Doing so doesn't tell me what I, or the program, may have done, but I have the satisfaction being able to recover from a problem more efficiently.
    I do also store off versions if it is a big project; I have been screwed over so many times with Microsoft that it is second nature.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The program will never convert text to shapes just because you save a file - whether it's grouped or not.

I think there must have been an edit step that caused it. Various functions that operate on shapes may automatically convert text to shapes. E.g. Combine shapes and the shape painter or eraser tools.

Phil

This has been happening to me for months and months. I don't know the exact steps to recreate it, but it definitely is related to grouping, and it DOES seem related to grouping with non-text objects. It's an unbelievable bug that wastes hours of my time and continues to do so.

I do screen mockups and am always putting text within boxes to simulate buttons and dropdown menus. I need to group them to move them around. Over time (never immediately) the Text Line turns into a group of individual characters.

I don't know how they expect this product to be taken seriously with such a major flaw.

Probably best if you can attach an example XARA doc that contains the issue.