Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: WebPlus vs Xara

Default WebPlus vs Xara

Hello all! I'm new here, having found this forum while looking for an alternative web design program after hearing WPx8 (or is it 9?) is the final version. I'm weighing my options here...having used WP for 12 years now. It's time to refresh my site and wondering which direction I should take.
    Some questions for the members here:
    1. Is Xara as easy to use as WP is?
    2. Is Xara a subscription program?
    3. Pros/Cons?
    4. Differences between Xara and WP?
    Any and all input is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Lynn

Default Re: WebPlus vs Xara

Quote Originally Posted by lynwlms View Post
    Hello all! I'm new here, having found this forum while looking for an alternative web design program after hearing WPx8 (or is it 9?) is the final version. I'm weighing my options here...having used WP for 12 years now. It's time to refresh my site and wondering which direction I should take.
    Some questions for the members here:
    1. Is Xara as easy to use as WP is?
    2. Is Xara a subscription program?
    3. Pros/Cons?
    4. Differences between Xara and WP?
    Any and all input is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Lynn
    1. No
    2. It is a hybrid. The included content can expire and not be accessible unless one renews before the expiry of one's "service period."
    3. I'll leave for other with the exception that #s 1 & 2 are pretty much Cons to me.
    4. Way too many to count.

As for #4, download the trial. Replicate some of your pages in the Xara application. That's the best means of making a decision.

W+ isn't gonna die off anytime soon. It would take Microsoft doing something to make it no longer usable. True, Serif isn't going to develop it further. And if one is using Serif Resources you need to look into replacing those functions (all doable, though).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    1. No
    2. It is a hybrid. The included content can expire and not be accessible unless one renews before the expiry of one's "service period."
    Mike
    Unless you have downloaded the content before expiry.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

you lose the Online Catalogue Completely - doesn't that mean you lose content you cannot actually download and functionality, especially for a website ?

Before mine expired I downloaded all the content... Around 26,000 files. Have no idea what it all is

24,763 files in mine - none of the web stuff I'll never use... and that will be a fair chunk of it at least; not likely to make much ise of the rest either, haven't so far...

Hi Lynn

Download the free 30 day trial and see for yourself. http://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/ The trial copy is fully functional and you can create and publish a website. But you do not have access to the Content Catalog.

I have used Xara products since 1995 when I first saw what was then CorelXARA being demonstrated.

I prefer Designer Pro X365 because it can do web and print work and has all the best features. But it is also considerably more expensive.

Web Designer is a WYSIWYG program so you put things on the page where you want them and Web Designer does the rest. You can use/modify the pre-designed websites and templates or create your own sites and mobile sites from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Lynn

Download the free 30 day trial and see for yourself. http://www.xara.com/us/web-designer/ The trial copy is fully functional and you can create and publish a website. But you do not have access to the Content Catalog.

I have used Xara products since 1995 when I first saw what was then CorelXARA being demonstrated.

I prefer Designer Pro X365 because it can do web and print work and has all the best features. But it is also considerably more expensive.

Web Designer is a WYSIWYG program so you put things on the page where you want them and Web Designer does the rest. You can use/modify the pre-designed websites and templates or create your own sites and mobile sites from scratch.
    Thanks Gary! I'll check it out.

Hi Lynn,

I used Serif Webplus for 10 years and when I heard Serif were no longer bringing out anymore versions looked around for other software. I finally decided to go with Xara Web Designer 365 and completely started my website again. It took a long time for me to learn Xara but now I have I'm glad I changed. If you have any problems when using Xara you can always post them to this forum, everyone on here are very helpful.