Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Importing WordPress site

Anyone successful at importing a wordpress site? If so, can you tell me how complicated it was to fix it and make it appear the same as it was?

If not, what is the best way to duplicate it? This is not my site but trying to help someone I know whose website designer dropped doing their site.
    I am not wordpress savvy!

Thanks,
    Sue

Default Re: Importing WordPress site

Well xara and WordPress are about as opposite as you can get, pretty much you would have to recreate the design from scratch, of course you will be able to re-use the content, images etc.
    Before you make the effort trying to convert it, consider why they chose WordPress in the first place. If they need a blog that they can update themselves, xara really is not the best option, either they would then have to buy the software and learn it to be able to update it themselves or they will keep coming back to you to update it for them.
    I recently converted a WordPress site to a xara site for a client and it took weeks to get it how they wanted it, but client was a designer so they had a very specific look they wanted that was difficult to achieve precisely with WordPress but i would regard this as an exceptional case.
    If your friend just wsnts a static site and doesn't really want a blog that they can update and you look instead at remaking their site using one of the templates as a base rather than try to recreate the WordPress site, then it may be an option worth considering.
    I do WordPress sites for clients as well as xara so am trying to offer an unbiased opinion.

Appreciate your comments, Scupltex. They hired someone to do a site. They do not know how to do anything. Then that person abandoned them. Someone in their group said they would fix it and left them high and dry. They don't have a blog. Just needed a way for patrons to pay through credit card or PayPal and keep up a few things, like a calendar. I'm not crazy about Wordpress and when I go into the panel, I can't even figure out where all the things are, some I can. Otherwise, I would just help them with what they have.

Sue

As Sculptex points out, they are as different as chalk and cheese. Wordpress and other cms sites depend on a database. Xara doesn't, it's a WYSIWYG web page/site creator. never the twain shall meet
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gotcha. Well, I may have to learn a bit to help them...not happy but I want to make them happy!

I converted 5 WP sites to Xara about 6 months ago. My reason was the design limits and relentless updates with WP. There was no clean way to import a WP site so I simply rebuilt. In the process I improved the sites because I now had access to features unavailable in WP. I did not find Xara limited my use of a cart, file downloads, or blogging. I did not replicate the comment feature in WP because it seemed to only harvest spam and trolls when used in WP. The sites were originally in WP because, at the time, Xara did not have the features for different device viewing as it does now.

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    I converted 5 WP sites to Xara about 6 months ago. My reason was the design limits and relentless updates with WP. There was no clean way to import a WP site so I simply rebuilt. In the process I improved the sites because I now had access to features unavailable in WP. I did not find Xara limited my use of a cart, file downloads, or blogging. I did not replicate the comment feature in WP because it seemed to only harvest spam and trolls when used in WP. The sites were originally in WP because, at the time, Xara did not have the features for different device viewing as it does now.

Any chance we can see some of the work?