Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's the best way to show web images in Xara?

Hello All

I'm currently looking at Xara Web Pro to build a website to display my online web comics.
    What is the best way to show images to my viewers? On my old site I used a plugin called LightBox that gave you a modal view of the image when you clicked on it, but now I need a mobile solution, that can be zoomed and panned by the device.

Do I embed the comic picture in text then when clicked on, creating a full screen popup layer?
    Do I just resize the picture the full size of the page?

It's not really a slide show, unless I can control it with a right arrow. I was showing 1 panel at a time but I may want to create a graphic that consists of many panels in a portrait page format.

I'm open to any and all help please.

Thanks!

Default Re: What's the best way to show web images in Xara?

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Probably the simplest method is to scale your images down to thumbnail size then have them pop up to a larger size when the visitor clicks or taps a thumbnail.

You can do this in the Website Properties > Image section (see attached)

Check the Pop up Photo option and set a size for the popup to display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pop up.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	118375  

Smile Re: What's the best way to show web images in Xara?

Thank you sooooo much! This is perfect!
    Just what I wanted, with no coding. Amazing!

Just one more please.

I noticed that when uploaded, it creates a folder with the name of the page_htm_files, and my pics are numbered 1,2,3. Is there a way to name the folder and/or name the pics when uploaded?
    I'm used to keeping all the photos for all the pages in one folder. If not I can live with this.
    This program is really cool.
    Last edited by Gary Parkin; 14 July 2017 at 12:53 AM.

Xara automatically renames all images to numbers. This is convenient for creating the HTML document but not good for search engines.

Select the image you want to name, click the yellow Names tag icon, and add the title as filename=image name Press Add. Replace the image name with the name you want your image to have.

Note: Do NOT append .JPG or .PNG to the image name.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file name.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	118385  

Can I ask a question - how do you replace the image name or do you mean the image file name? (sorry if I am being dense!)

Also does the 'image caption' feature accessed via web properties/image/image caption(Alt Text) have any bearing on SEO?

Warning!

Beware that when you give your image files names, the software does not automatically optimize them upon publishing your website. So, you have to optimize them yourself (look in the Help file under: "Optimizing Photos and Bitmaps"). But again a warning: this is a destructive operation, altering the resolution of the images and, in case of clipviews, the size of your images once you close/save your .web/.xar file. This will make later edits 'impossible' (you can always re-import the original image again and edit that).

And if you're using variants giving images filename (via filename=my-photo) messes up the image resolution.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Again sorry if I am being thick are we saying that there is no simple way to name images for SEO purposes?

select the image, click on the name tag and give it the name filename=myphoto1

This is fine if there's no variant, but variants badly mess up the named image resolution.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, but as the majority of my sites use variants this really is a none starter.

I think that this and the whole of the SEO topic is something that Xara really need to have a look at and provide some guidance/support to users.