Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Supersite template: add page or duplicate page without nav bar corruption

Xara Designer Pro X - I'm using Xara's free supersite template. I've figured out most things from videos, help, and visiting the forum. But I cannot find a solution to my problem. I.e., when I try to add a page or duplicate a page to the supersite, it puts that page link into the nav bar and eliminate one of the other nav bar entries. Can I not just add a page without Designer making other changes? In other words, how do I add a new page without Xara making changes or adding to the nav bar without my OK? Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Supersite template: add page or duplicate page without nav bar corruption

Welcome to TalkGraphics Hubbub

Double click on the Nav Bar to open the Navigation Bar menu.

You can select any page's titlebar and delete it. This does not delete the page it just removes it from the Navigation Bar.

You can also change the page name and the case. For example if your page title says about_us you can highlight the text and change it to ABOUT US.

And you can add sub menus. Click on the Help button in the Navigation Bar Properties menu to see what options are available. This hold true for any menu that has a Help button. And press F1 with any tool selected to see a context sensitive menu for that specific tool.

Default Re: Supersite template: add page or duplicate page without nav bar corruption

Thanks for the quick response. But my problem is not that I cannot remove the 'new' item, it's that the 'new' item takes the place of another page I want. For example, it I add a new page, change the name to another, from, say, 'about us' to 'personnel', then the 'personnel' page takes the place of another page, for example, 'contact'. I then have to re-edit the nav bar to show 'contact' and delete the 'personnel' page. Confusing, I know. but the upshot is, a page I already have on the nav bar and want on the nav bar is replaced with the new page which I intended to be a sub-menu page. I'm not given a choice. I haven't edited the nav bar to include the page on the nav bar, the program does it without my wishes. Try to understand my poor attempt to explain a problem best witnessed.

I opened the new Vue Supersite (is that what you are working on?) and added and duplicated pages but it works as it is supposed to. I suggest you close the file you've been working on and open a fresh copy of the Vue Supersite and try again. If that doesn't work, try this: Close the program, right-click the program icon and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu as this often solves pesky issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd-941.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	118387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd-942.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	118388 Thanks. I've uploaded two images to illustrate the problem. In one image you can see the nav bar as want it to appear: Home, Events, Personnel, Tickets, About Us, Links, Contact. The next image shows the nav bar after I click the 'New Page' button and a new page is created. Note how the nav bar has changed (by the program) by deleting Events and adding elgar2k17-serenade. I don't understand why this happens for what should be a simple operation. Does this help you to understand the situation?

Your original explanation was already clear, Hubbub. Have you tried my suggestions? If you did, perhaps you could post your .web file here so we can take a look at what's wrong.

I tried the 'Run as Administrator' and it failed to correct the problem. I do not wish to redo the web site from scratch and possibly end up with the same problem since it's taken me many hours to do what I have done. You can check out the web site at this URL: www.clintonsymphony.org and see what I've done so far. What I want to add are other sub-menu pages for the rest of the symphony's concerts under 'Events'. I did try one other thing. I pressed the + button next to the main page status and got a completely blank white page that did not add it to the nav bar. But, it would require me constructing the page from ground O - again, a giant inconvenience. Any other suggestions?http://www.clintonsymphony.org/

Have noticed this as well on my own sites, so hoping this does some good for getting an answer.

I can't replicate this behavior. Firstly I suggest closing your Xara program, right clicking over the launch icon and choose "Run as Administrator". This often cures odd behavior and is only required to be done once. It either works or doesn't.

Here how the View theme template (suggested by Boy) works on my PC.

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks a lot, Egg. I get the part about new pages being added to the nav bar which I can edit out. I was having the 'new page' overwriting another nav bar item - not the sub-menu, but the item name only. I can edit that as well. I like to know how things work, saves time, and this particular action seems to make a bit of redundancy which I don't think was intended by the designers. Regardless, thanks for the help.