Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Directly viewing/editing html (and css)

Hi

I'm trying out the Webdesigner 365 software. The usual view I use in other software is split, with html in the top and wysiwyg in the bottom. How can I do that with Webdesigner?

Sorry if this is an obvious question/answer. I've clicked everything I can see and read through the help files and the answer, thus far, has eluded me.

Many tks...... David.

Default Re: Directly viewing/editing html (and css)

Webdesigner is WYSIWYG software that only creates the html code upon publishing your site. So, no need to hand-code your site. However, by using placeholders you can add code to further adjust your design and/or add functionality that's not native to Webdesigner. This combination of ease of design and ability to add web code makes the program very versatile.

Welcome to TalkGraphics David

As Boy points out, Web Designer generates the HTML code and associated files when you publish. So even if you edit the HTML document in a text editor, Web Designer will overwrite your changes the next time you make a change and publish your site.

If you need to add a script or line of code to your page can do so using a Placeholder object, which can be anything, usually a simple rectangle.

Select the placeholder object, go to Website Properties > Placeholder and then click the Insert HTML Body or Head button and paste your text or script. Placeholders are invisible when you publish but insert your code or script into the page or site every time you publish.

For more information see Help > Index > Placeholder Objects

Never try to change published HTML manually, it will all get overwritten.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You can import a CSS file and if is have !Important, it can be used over Xara's published one.
    You select an Object and use Ctrl+Alt+Shift+A and attach you file that way.

The cheap and cheerful way is to add <style> blocks in Placeholders, Page or Website code areas.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks for all the fast and helpful replies.

-- David.

NJ, near Princeton Univ (USA), midway between NYC and Philly

Learning to mix Xara's own generated code with whatever you put in placeholders is really quite powerful and convenient. Xara's own tools make it feasible to design and build quickly -- and with placeholders, you can drop in custom HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, etc. to add all sorts of additional functionality. Very nice once you get the workflow down.