Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RE: Xara Equivalent of PS 'Select Color Range' Tool

Hi All,

Is there a Xara equivalent to Photoshop's 'Select Color Range' tool? I have done keyword searches in help and the forum and have not quite found an answer to this.

I have a greyscale image and I would like to remove all of the white from the image.

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Re: Xara Equivalent of PS 'Select Color Range' Tool

Look in the Help file under "Erasing backgrounds". In your profile it says that you're using XDP X10, so I'm not really sure if the feature as it exists in the current version was already available in your version.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Look in the Help file under "Erasing backgrounds". In your profile it says that you're using XDP X10, so I'm not really sure if the feature as it exists in the current version was already available in your version.
    Thank you for the guidance, Boy.

The results were very poor.

For reference, here is the starting graphic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	121024_symbol_lgfrmt_layered_outputs_copyright.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	118306

And here is the Xara result versus the Affinity result.

Name:	121224_designfrmwkSymbol_example.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	118307

The results in Serif Affinity were as I expect and I've only used it for a couple hours whereas I have a couple hundred hours into Xara at this point and the results are unacceptable.

Have I missed something? It seems the Erase Background tool works well if there is strong contrast between the background and the foreground object, but that it cannot handle a gradient very well.

Is there a better way to use Xara to get the effect that I'm seeking?

Thanks,
    Joe

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Yes there is a better way. select your photo with the photo tool and at the far right of the info bar you will see a button that will say select colours to enhance when you mouse over it. Click that button and then click in your image in an area that is the colour you wish to remove. A red dot will appear and the colour will show transparent and then go back to solid. Right click the red dot and select make this colour transparent.

The red dot is scaleable to to pick out more or less pixels and you should now see a little triangle next to the select colour button. if you click that triangle you will get sliders for tolerance and fade, these can be used to further adjust how much of a colour is selected/affected
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	select colours.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	118309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colour select.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	118308  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Yes there is a better way. select your photo with the photo tool and at the far right of the info bar you will see a button that will say select colours to enhance when you mouse over it. Click that button and then click in your image in an area that is the colour you wish to remove. A red dot will appear and the colour will show transparent and then go back to solid. Right click the red dot and select make this colour transparent.

The red dot is scaleable to to pick out more or less pixels and you should now see a little triangle next to the select colour button. if you click that triangle you will get sliders for tolerance and fade, these can be used to further adjust how much of a colour is selected/affected
    Wow! That is terrific. Thanks, Angelize!

Name:	20170707.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	118316