Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Position an Imported file and pasted items on page.

Using Web designer 365 Premium. When I import a file or paste an item it always goes to the top of the page, I then have to drag it to the place where I need it. Is there a way to predetermine the position where I want it to go. Secondly when I import a file there is always a thin green line around the contents and I have to resize this before I can move it into the desired position, can anyone throw some light on this please.
    Many thanks.

Default Re: Position an Imported file and pasted items on page.

Imported objects are centered on the visible area in the program window. The only way to get them in a specific place besides dragging them, is to have an object that is in the exact desired position. Then Cut the imported object (Ctrl + X), right click on the positioned object and Paste > Paste Replacing Selection.

Xara is a WYSIWYG design program that lets you design your page and put objects where you want them. On publish Xara writes the HTML script.

When I import a file it does not put it in the centre of the page, it's always at the top but to one side. Also if I copy that file does it not turn it into a bitmap and for my purposes does not then allow me to highlight words within a cell and the link them to another page or place. Perhaps I should stick to the way I'm doing at the moment by dragging.
    What does the thin green line denote when I import, I have to use that to resize the table.
    Sorry forgot to say thanks.

what kind of file is it - that might well make a diference

and [unless you are using a 'blank photo' document] if by page you mean the white area, that is ignored when importing images, they get imported into the centre of the visible workspace [as gary said]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi It's a Word 2016 table. I have a web site each page has header photos and a nav bar. I talk about a page as defined by the "Page" background and as set up as 960 px (XGA). Hopefully I'm talking the correct language. Cheers

thanks - unfortunately word tables are not my thing.. hopefully someone else will now be able to help
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

OK That being the case, why not scroll down to where you want the table to be, and then import it?

That does not work, I have tried it. I think we must conclude this thread, I appreciate all of your thoughts, good fun isn't it.
    Cheers Terry.

I think we'd need access to your web file & Word file Tel. Word comes with so much crap behind the code.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So MS Word 2010 / 2013 will take a copied table and Paste as a Metafile centred on the middle of the Xara viewport.

As mentioned above, MS Word 2016 comes with the baggage of the page size and the required table.
    If you Multi-page View off then Xara is probably trying to centre the table and background within the bounds of the Xara page.

As Egg mentioned, upload the MS Word document and we can try and work out the finer details.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat