Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question I'm a newbie to graphic design and I need help.

So basically, I recently got EXTREMELY interested in 3D modeling/graphic design; however, I have NO CLUE where to start developing my skills. Anyways, I'd like to know how to make something like this rotating sphere and audio spectrum: A grunge sphere rotating for almost 5 minutes. Please suggest any tools that would be necessary as money is not a problem for me.
    Best, Duma
    EDIT: Here's another example: A skull rotating around a sphere for almost 4 minutes. I want to learn how to make the lighting flicker as well as how to make the background move and morph. (Sorry if these are really simple questions, I really don't know what I'm doing)
    Last edited by Barbara B; 04 July 2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: no links on first post

Default Re: I'm a newbie to graphic design and I need help.

Welcome to TalkGraphics

So, basically what graphics software are you using. And, please don't start a sentence with so. It is SO not right.

so.... new members are allowed links now are they - it's spam
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics

So, basically what graphics software are you using. And, please don't start a sentence with so. It is SO not right.
    Sorry about the 'So's haha, I'm currently using Adobe After Effects.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    so.... new members are allowed links now are they - it's spam
    Noooo, I promise it's not spam! The links are to videos by a music company called 'Cymatics' and they have really cool graphics that I want to learn to make.

The general rules that some of the more authoritarian members like to quote is new members are not permitted links, especially to commercial sites, and especially new members who start their first thread with So... There is no set number of posts before new members can post links but it's usually somewhere around 15-20.

And for the most part we moderators strip these links out. I have notified the moderator for this forum and said I thought the links were appropriate. We'll see what the moderator has to say.

authoritarian, moi? ... oh wait, you're a laid-back 'child' of the 60's Gary - I remember now...

so... were they as happy times as I am led to believe? did they have authoritarian grammar rules back then..... ?

@Duma ok sorry if it is not spam but we get a lot... and to be honest this: Please suggest any tools that would be necessary as money is not a problem for me whilst great for your good self, is typical of spammers; as is over emphasis of the cluelessness...

I'd recommend you get yourself on some training sites, not cheap, but for you no problem.. you first need to learn the software, and this does not look like the sort of stuff I would do in Xara software... others of course may disagree
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 June 2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: dispeepsia cools kayroe
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Duma,The sphere shape in video 1 can easily be achieved with displacement mapping, then animate it rotating the sphere in a 360 degree loop cycle. Adding sound to the timeline would be done with a video editing program, Adobe premiere pro or such as that. The second sphere is most likely a procedural texture with a skull embedded into it and animated. These examples are rather basic modeling processes, the skull you could purchase from a vendor or study anatomy and modeling, then do it yourself. I am not familiar with Adobe after effects so I have no idea what its capable of. You should check out some online educators, https://www.lynda.com/search?q=3+d+modeling
    Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Duma View Post
    So basically, I recently got EXTREMELY interested in 3D modeling/graphic design; however, I have NO CLUE where to start developing my skills. Anyways, I'd like to know how to make something like this rotating sphere and audio spectrum: https Idiotic grunge sphere rotating for almost 5 minutes. Please suggest any tools that would be necessary as money is not a problem for me.
    Best, Duma
    EDIT: Here's another example: https: Sophomoric skull rotating around a sphere for almost 4 minutes. I want to learn how to make the lighting flicker as well as how to make the background move and morph. (Sorry if these are really simple questions, I really don't know what I'm doing)
    Hi Duma,

Links are not allowed on first posts, so I substituted some snarky substitutes. I apologize if you are seeking help in earnest on TalkGraphics, but your links are so off-the-wall, and your question would be better posed if you asked:

1. A general question about 3D software.

2. Whether the effect can be done in a program other than a 3D program. This is the appropriate forum for 3D questions, but I'm really not sure 3D graphics is something that can be "jumped into" resulting in a product you're happy with.

3. Get to the specific question without the benefit of a link, because you are a new member.

Personally, my spouse has been working with modeling and rendering programs for over twenty years, and he'd be the first to tell you that understanding the software, be it 3D Studio, modo, Maya, Houdini, or others, is a very daunting task, even for those who have the time to learn.

In the future, please snoop on sites such as TG, to get a lay of the land, so to speak, before jumping in and getting less-than-gracious replies. This is a community, we are all after the same sort of things—support and sharing—and our Moderators have a limited amount of time to shepard a hap-haphazardly written first post.

I encourage all on this thread ot use your best judgement and behavior when interacting. S/N of over 5 makes us look bad to people browsing.

Thanks,

Barbara B.

Admin
    Barbara Bouton
    TalkGraphics Forum Administrator

The Xara Xone website developer. | TheBoutons.com

Corel