Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Steps to replace a page, maintaining internal links

I have a 'Coming soon' page with some basic info and external links (but no internal links and no navbar), currently at index.htm, with corresponding versions for different variants. I also have as 12 separate pages a fully functioning draft site (with corresponding size variants) with internal links and navbar, including a draft homepage of indexnew.htm. I want to replace index.htm (all variants) with the content that's currently at indexnew.htm and I need the links in the other pages (currently pointing to indexnew.htm) to point to that content at its new location (index.htm) in all variants. Grateful for the steps here, as what I'm trying (basically deleting index.htm and renaming indexnew.htm as index.htm) isn't working as expected. Thanks...
    Last edited by yjs; 29 June 2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: for clarity

Default Re: Steps to replace a page, maintaining internal links

Republish over your coming soon page.

Just publish your site with the same name, index, and it will overwrite all existing files.

You may need to press F5 or Ctrl + F5 to see the new site.

Delete all the content on your coming soon (index.htm) page. Now copy all the content on the indexnew page and Ctrl+Shift+V it into the coming soon page. You may need to alter the home button to link it with index.htm (not indexnew.htm).

Preview.

You probably will need to do so for the other variants.

Delete the indexnew page or rename it indexold.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I want to replace index.htm (all variants) with the content that's currently at indexnew.htm and I need the links in the other pages (currently pointing to indexnew.htm) to point to that content at its new location (index.htm) in all variants.

Sorry Gary, am I missing something?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Well, unless I am missing something, yjs currently has a temporary site under construction page (index.htm) that he wants to replace with his draft site.

So yes, he can delete all the existing files for one page, or simply overwrite the page by publishing his draft site as index.htm.

Ah! I read it that he had a single site where the index page was a 'coming soon' content but no navigation to the other pages within that site.
    Egg