Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Expiration of Designer Pro

Kate I cannot speak for Bob - but I would love to move to P&G except...

It does not have custom key definitions

It does not have the 'pro' PDF export options

It does not even have some simple but incredibly useful UI functions, such as select by holding down alt and dragging

Just three examples, I could go on.. but in short, it is a 'castrated' version of the real thing

now..... I can live without the latter of those three.. but custom key definitions and PDF/X output I need.... so it is not an option for me

EDIT - oh and it's not 64bit... and it does not do multithreading... they are important too; very; sorry.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Kate, what we need is an XDP without the web stuff as regards commercial work. Not a stripped down P&GD.

We need drawing features fleshed out and/or fixed.

We need long-standing issues fixed. One of the very first things I reported with my first version (version 6), was needing Print on All Plates extended to PDF. That or we need the special Registration color which ought to do so as it does in other applications.

There really ought not to be the product fragmentation that exists. There really ought to be lower pricing on XDP (especially if it were sans web stuff). I mean, do y'all compare the capabilities of XDP's drawing/vector/output against competitors? XDP's renewal price is close enough to what I pay for CorelDraw's renewal. Do you really think XDP is that much of a competitor to CD? When AI was at the CS releases, the same applied to it. Is XDP that much of a competitor to AI? And what about PhotoLine? It also doesn't do web stuff, but the vector capabilities are adequate and image manipulation is top-notch, and now scripting is being added. Full-fledged VBA scripting. Its new license is about the cost of a first license for P&GD but is more capable than it (especially if one considers the image editing, its prime focus). But the renewal is $30 USD. I mean, XDP cannot touch that.

And of course there is the current thorn in Xara's side, Affinity applications. A new license for both is less than a renewal of XDP. Really? Currently, only AD and CD can properly utilize OpenType Features. Can XDP? (The answer is no, btw.) The upgrade cost of both AD and AF are less than, well, dirt.

These (and more) are all things y'all should be considering and discussing with Magix if you are not currently doing so. I have no idea how much autonomy you have with Magix--and it's none of my business. But your products are out of line in both capabilities and pricing in the current market.

Mike

I'm surprised that the battles around Xara are still going on.

A simple analysis shows me that the
    1. main and biggest Xara’s target group is amateur web designers. Now in each media or electronic store I can see colorful packaging of Magix Web Designer.
    With a screaming slogan: “Simply create professional website” (a marketing gimmick that has nothing to do with reality). This group is most satisfied with this software.

2. The second group is the offices of small entrepreneurs or public organizations etc... Which have a need for simple print and promotional products. They buy XPLD and are most satisfied with this software too.

3. Who are Photo Designer user? I do not know. It's pure madness to buy it. Amateur products from Corel or Adobe are a hundred times better for same prise.

4. Professional segment is the Xara's old users. It is the smallest and eternally dissatisfied group. Not a single "young" professional in sane will buy "oldtimer" XDP now. I do not know the design schools where learned Xara. Where are hundreds of tutorials(Tuts+ or same)? And I do not see any reason for a beginner to buy it. By the way CD and AI are not much more expensive.

Fazit: XDP is absolutely dependent on the first three groups. Therefore, XDP has a small development potential. I do not expect a breakthrough in the near future. The past two years convince this statement.

Kate, thanks for the reply, but I would only consider the full vector side of Designer Pro. The Photo stuff doesn't interest me.
    I also don't want downloadable content, it's effects-laden and of no interest. I am also cheesed off with the load time of Designer Pro, it is much slower these days.
    As Steve says, 64 bit is essential as are PDF/X output.
    There are a huge number of Vector items that could do with refreshing, too:-

The Bitmap Tracer needs a complete overhaul.

We should be able to save a user-adjusted interface and not have to go through the rigmarole of readjusting the Control Bars/Button Palette. That should only ever be a one-time operation.

Far better Open Type feature implementation. The current version is extremely clunky, invoving a lot of guesswork.

The 3D Tool, whilst feature-rich is very much rooted in turn-of-the-century design. One can tell which software was used to produce the results ~ eye candy.

On the subject of eye candy, the downloadable content is just that. Unusable for me.

One would hope with a stripped down vector based program without web/photo content that the program would load a lot faster, too.

Just my 2 cents.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

been a while now since I used P&G for work: version 7

maybe it's changed for the worse, but as I recall it's vector core was the same as the pro vesion subject to the limitations stated, but these are deal breakers of the first order - photo-wise even Designer pro is limping along compared with the serious compeition

and new problems continue to arise that shouldn't, such as the one recently reported here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...nches-(ver-11) - and issues that have been around from the off, such as mentioned by Mike; and such as no winding rule options, and no ability to have an unclosed object filled without a hack workaround or the use of more than one shape [grouped or otherwise]...., persist to this day...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

oops, I didn't mean to kick off another feature wish list debate! But what you say about Pro features missing from PGD is interesting, *maybe* there is something we can do there.

You won't persuade me to make our development schedule public I'm afraid, but since there are 2 releases coming very soon it would seem a bit odd not to mention them now. First there is a major update to Online Designer. We are spending quite a lot of development time on that at the moment (remote editing of Xara documents on any device including MACs, iPads and Android tables, and collaborative editing - you can hopefully see why those two things are important to us). There is also a mainly-content update to Designer Pro coming soon. I can hear you groaning already, but in our defense I would just mention that in the most recent surveys only 5% of Designer Pro 365 owners and 3% of Web Designer Premium 365 owners said they never used the Content Catalog content!
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post
    ...But what you say about Pro features missing from PGD is interesting, *maybe* there is something we can do there. ...
    Make P&GD = XDP without web stuff and I would be the first to buy a copy.

But to keep me upgrading, Xara really does need to deal with past, present & future features in a more meaningful manner.

Mike

@ Kate: But what about this exorbitant price increase that was silently introduced while a year ago Xara promised us that a year hence the update fee would be similar? That was the deal you made with us!

In addition, I can't follow your reasoning that due to the frequent updating, Xara's costs increased and therefore the price had to be raised (why only in the case of XDP and not the other apps?). You introduced the new scheme and told us it would be in our interest even though no one wanted it. Now you're telling us that we have to pay 30% more because of the frequent updating!?! That sounds like double-talk to me.

Finally, some people here want to remove all the web features from XDP but I'm not one of them. I like it very much that all the features are being made available in one program.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Finally, some people here want to remove all the web features from XDP but I'm not one of them. I like it very much that all the features are being made available in one program.
    With Kate's seemingly going to visit the concept of adding in the so-called Pro features from XDP to P&GD, I could care less what the state of XDP becomes.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I like it very much that all the features are being made available in one program.
    + 1 I also very much like it.

Because

1) There have to be a flagship application, like the Samsung Galaxy S8 phone now, which knows everything.

2) Beside of that as Gare teached for long here, the best to use Xara Designer Pro as a hub! Where other applications meet, because it is the fastest and versatile.

3) Plus personally I never know which functions I need today and will need in the future, so need the Xara Designer Pro which is capable for any inspirations.

But this is a little bit off topic in this thread, as the point here is that Desinger Pro expiring in the silence and if the customer is not vigilant enough, then have to pay more. Which is dirty marketing tactic as the company plays like that with the loyal customers.