Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Default Re: Expiration of Designer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by katemoir View Post

You won't persuade me to make our development schedule public I'm afraid
    Kate trying to quote this really constructively - so in the 365 model this is hardly can be kept. That worked nice in the yearly update, where there were chances to have nice surprises which pulled the customers to buy, who after a year were anyway hungry for the new things.

But in the 365 model you would need to say in advance what will be new, motivating the customers for extending their subscription.

Briefly the different type of model requires different type of communication

@ Tony, I can't see a flaw with that suggestion, as I recall way back in the very first thread on the Update Service I made a similar suggestion. Wait a year, and then buy the upgrade/ renewal if you want what’s new, and I think in all important respects you are back at the old model.

@ Acorn, we've considered a few different ways of delivering relevant bug fixes if you are installing on a new machine after expiry, via the update mechanism or otherwise, one way or another that should be working for everyone now. I noted Handrawn’s comment about everything in 12.6 working, and to be honest I was surprised - but if that’s the case then I think everyone will be happy

I think that answers any questions that I haven’t already answered, and we are surely repeating questions and answers from earlier in this thread, not to mention quite a few previous threads on the same subject. So yes please Barbara. If there are genuinely new questions let’s continue on Dear Xara - or of course many of you asking the questions have my email address!
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

@ Acorn, we've considered a few different ways of delivering relevant bug fixes if you are installing on a new machine after expiry, via the update mechanism or otherwise, one way or another that should be working for everyone now. I noted Handrawn’s comment about everything in 12.6 working, and to be honest I was surprised - but if that’s the case then I think everyone will be happy
    Kate,this discovery (and I am holding my breath) will be a major transformation indeed! Those of us who need all the offerings of the On-line Content Catalogue (OCC) can download ahead of expiry; Xara could offer a DVD set for a sensible charge. Knowing the structure of the Local Gallery files, a separate utility could be constructed to augment the loss of the OCC and the Find function.

What's not to like?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The price?
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

So if there is nothing more to add, are we done here?
    Not quite.

Kate is skirting the issue of the 33% price increase for XDP even though extending the update service was supposed to be at a similar price as last year's!

let’s continue on Dear Xara
    That will be more comfortable, 10% of the users visiting it.

Your issue will be that someone again will ask the same things in a new thread in Xara Graphics Chat, so the moderators again can play their role

What's wrong with continuing this post... It's lively for sure!

...I noted Handrawn’s comment about everything in 12.6 working...
    what I think I said was that what I tried appeared to be working...

what I know worked is:

DPX12.6.2.49603 installed and activated on a notebook that had never had version 365 installed before

the 'eng' cache folder saved from the other computer before the licence expired, was copied in to replace the default install folder - this done, and the program started, the designs were there in the gallery - I was able to load several - but that was as far as it went, because the notebook only has 28GB SSD in total, and just under 3GB free under normal circs - fine for MS word/excel/ppoint, but by the time I had installed DPX12 and the eng folder free space was 440 MB - I was half expecting win 10 to play up, but whilst it didn't it was not really happy, so I couldn't risk doing anything complicated...

so there it is...

EDIT: except... LOL..... having to move on I just went back to said notebook to uninstall XDP12 - the uninstall removes the program, I did tick the box to uninstall backups and stuff, but the whole of the User Local Xara folder tree is still there, content included. all 2.37GB of it - guess I'll have to manually delete it
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 July 2017 at 09:18 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    so the moderators again can play their role
    Again, the Moderators are volunteers and not in the pocket of Xara. We try to moderate and I have expressly argued that important threads like this are allowed to develop. Some contributors needlessly escalate, add vitriol or are sometimes just plain rude. That is the role of the Moderators, to moderate.

A Thread should have one theme. Large ones, like this one, can digress so it is reasonable to start a new thread on a particular topic. It doesn't matter if it is placed in Dear Xara as the links New Posts, Unanswered Posts and Quick Links > Today's Posts will still highlight the Thread. Personally, I would raise new Thread, related to the likes of this one, in Xara graphics design Forum.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by csehz View Post
    But in the 365 model you would need to say in advance what will be new, motivating the customers for extending their subscription.
    Briefly the different type of model requires different type of communication
    Exactly!!
    But it seems to me that Xara don't understand it (.
    They think that will make the subscription and all will pay, but i think nobody(ok, a large part) will pay for online catalog and unknown improvements.
    Because Xara is not Adobe. And they can't just get up and enter the subscription without changing anything in the relationship with users.
    We want improvements in the quality, not the number of smart objects in the directory.
    PS: and here's the thing - when ending the subscription and the reinstall the programs you are rolled back to the version when buying .... is now a mockery and a cruel marketing.