Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text outline tool not working

I have another problem today - for some reason the text outline tool has stopped working.

Everything looks fine in the design but when previewed or exported the text reverts to a single color.

I have tried it with different fonts, tried restarting the programme and running as administrator with no success.

Anybody else encountered this?

Default Re: Text outline tool not working

Brief update - I have 4 or 5 older versions of Xara on my machine and have tried them all and none now work - I am totally bemused.

The tool is clearly doing something in that if you add a very 'fat' line the shape of the text changes but the line is not visible.

Was beginning to think that it was a problem with my desktop but have just tried it on my laptop with same result.

I think that I may need to raise a support ticket.

Hi Nobbyy

Text outline tool?

Do you want to add an outline to your text? If so there are a few ways to do this. Add a one or two step contour with the Contour Tool. Or Add an outline to your text, then clone the text, change the color, and set the outline to none.

Two examples
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline 1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	118116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	outline 2.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	118117  

Hi Gary - many thanks for the quick response.

What I am trying to to is to add an outline to the text as per the middle line in your second example.

Do I need to export this a picture? Is this why on preview it loses the outline?

Hi Nobbyy, is this for print or web. HTML has no text outline (stroke or line width) for text so it's just ignored.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi Nobbyy, is this for print or web. HTML has no text outline (stroke or line width) for text so it's just ignored.
    https://css-tricks.com/examples/TextStroke/

Sure one can. Sort of but not all browsers. But solid fill is a fallback.

Cheers Mike, but looking at these examples I think I'll stick with the no outline text
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

It was just a point that it can be done.

Personally, I wouldn't add an outline to text for web use unless perhaps it is text sitting on an image so the text is able to be better seen/read. But likely not there either.

Hi all - many thanks for your responses - I was obviously having a bad day yesterday! LOL

So if its for web use I will need to export text with this kind of effect as a graphic/picture?