Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Linking local folders to xara web page

Hi,

I am currently making a website for inhouse use at a company using Xara Web Designer. I am trying to create a link that will open up a local folder on the server from the webpage. I have successfully done this with linking local files, but cannot seem to figure out if it is possible to link a local folder location.

Does anyone know if this is possible / the process to create the local folder link?

Thanks!

Default Re: Linking local folders to xara web page

You could use the Web Properties > Link > link to web or email address field, uncheck the "correct automatically" box and then enter something like "file://server/share/folder" but I'm sure browsers block opening local resources?

Thanks
    Rob

Thanks for the suggestions Rob,

Yeah, I tried setting the link up using the "Link to Web or Email" text field and no luck. The web browser states that "no webpage can be found". I don't know if the server would be blocking it though being it opens up the local files fine. If I use the "Link to file" for a local file in the same folder I am trying to reference, it will open through the web browser.

Thanks,
    Dan

The Link format will be like file:///C:/...
    I can only get this to work for IE. such actions are supposed to be blocked, so thank you Microsoft.

Do note that all you are doing is allowing the viewer to access their own local filestore.
    What do you hope to achieve? Stick with file downloads. You can make a Xara page pretend to be a view of a filestore.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn,

Yes, file:\\\C: worked! Thanks so much. It is meant to bring the user, within the company to locations of a huge database of files we use for revit. The files are referenced in the program so they cannot be moved and there are thousands of files on top of that so a filestore would not be ideal for this situation. The intention is for it to the user to go to be lead to the local library.

Thanks again
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The Link format will be like file:///C:/...
    I can only get this to work for IE. such actions are supposed to be blocked, so thank you Microsoft.

Do note that all you are doing is allowing the viewer to access their own local filestore.
    What do you hope to achieve? Stick with file downloads. You can make a Xara page pretend to be a view of a filestore.

Acorn