Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting guides up again for every new blank page is a pain

Hi there

Please forgive me if someone has already posted about this, but I couldn't find it so if it has been posted, please post the answer here or a link to the thread.

So I'm working on a document which is going to be a pdf and it has multiple pages, that's over 100 pages, and I'm using xara because there are lots of graphics which I want to be able to freely place them in position. The nuisance thing is that when I add a new blank page to carry the text over to, I have to set up the guides all over again, which is very time-consuming. Is there a way to keep the guides in the same place on every single page including new ones?

Towards the end, I just duplicated pages and deleted the material then pasted it in again, but as I go back to proofread, I see that some of the text blocks are all over the place, and if I had guides in the same place it would just be a matter of lining them up. Universal guides staying put would be wonderful.

Any tips or tricks to share please?

I have xara graphics and photo editor 365 (which is pure joy btw).

Default Re: Setting guides up again for every new blank page is a pain

You could set up a blank, clean page with only the guides in place. When you need a new page, copy & paste that one. Not the most convenient workflow but it's a workaround.

Or set up the guides as you require them, plus everything else like page size, units, fonts etc and Save Template. Call it Guides or whatever you require and save it, ticking the "Make Default Template" box if you want it to be your default
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

or... the simplest way is to just go to the one page where you have them set up the way you like and.... in the layers gallery, right click over the guides layer and copy it. Then...

go to any other page. Right click again over the guides layer and 'paste'. You will get an option to either 'merge' them, or 'replace' them, on that page.
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Learn something new all the time. I didn't know you could copy the guides layer.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Learn something new all the time. I didn't know you could copy the guides layer.

Ray
    And... if 'ARTMAMA' is creating a large PDF, chances are that all that the majority of pages are probably the same size... So, if in the 'page options' he could set the 'all pages in document same in document', or, 'same layers on all pages', the same guides would be carried over when making a new page.

The 'copying' and 'pasting' of layers works best if there's an odd page with a different guides setup and then you create another page that you wish to have the same guides on. For the majority of a larges document, I think the best would be the setup in the 'page options'.

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Or set up the guides as you require them, plus everything else like page size, units, fonts etc and Save Template. Call it Guides or whatever you require and save it, ticking the "Make Default Template" box if you want it to be your default
    I tried that, but every new page comes up without the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    You could set up a blank, clean page with only the guides in place. When you need a new page, copy & paste that one. Not the most convenient workflow but it's a workaround.
    Yes, initially I was duplicating pages and then deleting the text on it. But this comes with its own difficulties, as I then had to drag the page to where I wanted it in the document (as my image pages are set up differently to the text, and image pages are scattered within text pages) and my mouse finger pad thing on this new laptop is not terribly user-friendly (yet - I guess I just have to get used to it).

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    or... the simplest way is to just go to the one page where you have them set up the way you like and.... in the layers gallery, right click over the guides layer and copy it. Then...

go to any other page. Right click again over the guides layer and 'paste'. You will get an option to either 'merge' them, or 'replace' them, on that page.
    This is what I ended up doing. Unfortunately my layers window has stopped naming the pages by number, plus all the little thumbnails have disappeared, just tiny page icons so half the time I have to figure out where I am by scrolling in the document and hoping the right page numbers appear when I'm at the right pages. So one of the next tasks is figuring out how to restore the layers window, which I've come to depend on. The modern artist's life is plagued with new difficulties!

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    And... if 'ARTMAMA' is creating a large PDF, chances are that all that the majority of pages are probably the same size... So, if in the 'page options' he could set the 'all pages in document same in document', or, 'same layers on all pages', the same guides would be carried over when making a new page.

The 'copying' and 'pasting' of layers works best if there's an odd page with a different guides setup and then you create another page that you wish to have the same guides on. For the majority of a larges document, I think the best would be the setup in the 'page options'.

Cliff
    I'll look into this for next time, but as the pages with all their content are already set in place and I'm going back and tidying things up, so the copying and pasting has been the easiest thing, one slow page at a time.