Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RE: Designer Pro X365 --- Future

Hi All,

I am somewhat new to Xara and this forum. I chose Xara as my app to migrate away from the Adobe CS when they went to the subscription-only model. I have been making the migration for a few years and am mostly on Xara now. However, Designer Pro X365 has been more buggy for me than previous releases, which has complicated my intent to use it. As a result, I still go back to PS and AI more than I would like at this point in the migration. It has led me to begin questioning my decision to switch to Xara.

Does anyone else find last year's release to be more buggy than other recent releases? Does anyone know what type of commitment Magix/Xara has to the continued development of Xara as a standalone app? Is Xara focusing more on its cloud-based tools than its traditional desktop apps now?

Any insight that you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe

Default Re: Designer Pro X365 --- Future

Quote Originally Posted by jmanganelli View Post

Does anyone else find last year's release to be more buggy than other recent releases? Does anyone know what type of commitment Magix/Xara has to the continued development of Xara as a standalone app? Is Xara focusing more on its cloud-based tools than its traditional desktop apps now?
    1. Actually on the contrary.
    2. I don't really understand what you mean by "Xara as a standalone app."
    3. It could be that they're going that way but I'm not sure. The company is pretty tight-lipped about the future of its product offerings.

I would say in itself it is less buggy.
    Porting from earlier versions is another matter and I am taking my original sites all the way back down to the nuts and bolts and reworking; this is no bad thing at it is a good spring-cleaning exercise.
    It also forces me to revalidate my prior assertions around how the applications all work.

Xara is probably trying (very) hard to provide a cloud-based, browser-led editor that is agnostic of browser, operating system and platform.
    If its core supporters are left behind, it does not matter if Xara can achieve market share.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I also have few if any problems, but I am not using the pro version.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thank you Boy, Wizzard, and Acorn, for the responses. Interesting about the bugginess....of lack of bugginess. I guess it could be a combination of me relying on Xara more this year (I.e., training wheels are off) while I am also not yet as proficient in it as I am in ps and ai .....I.e., user error on my part. That's good to know.

Overall, I'm happy with the switch. Xara's a great product.

At least for me, I find the latest version to be the most stable version I've experienced in years.

I too migrated away (successfully) from Adobe CC and am quite happy. As far as photo manipulation, even though Xara is adding somewhat decent tools up to a point, I will, and still think externally for bitmap work.
    Photoshop (in my case) is absolutely overkill. I always felt I wanted 'the best'. But I kind of laugh when I think of what and how I used PS for. There are just TOO MANY from free to cheap editors that do so so much of what PS can do, and just as well. I think Corel Paintshop Pro is fannnntastic!

I know it's a nice feeling to never have to, or want to leave a single app and do EVERYTHING, but what's the big deal to pop out of Xara for a quick bitmap edit and pop back in? For me, its not become a problem.
    Again... the most stable in years.

Cliff
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

[QUOTE=Boy;577056]1. Actually on the contrary.
    2. I don't really understand what you mean by "Xara as a standalone app."
    Sorry I do not understand what you mean by you do not understand about a subscription service and a standalone app.
    What is not to understand ? Just somewhat confused

I hadn't seen the term 'standalone app.' being used as such. I know the term 'perpetual licensing' software but what you say makes sense after looking up the meaning of the term:

Standalone software may refer to:

Welcome to TalkGraphics Uncleed

Please be aware that our members are from all over the world and most communicate in English as a courtesy to we Americans who are not multilingual. I know my Dutch is non-existent.