Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can't access online content catalog

I've recently realised that I can no longer access the Xara online content catalogue. I'm suspicious that it may have been happening since I replaced my home router as if I connect my laptop to the internet using a Wi-Fi hotspot then it connects OK but it just times out when I try to use it at home. I have a support ticket in with Xara support asking if they know of anything that has to be configured in the router for Xara but have not yet had a rely so I thought I'd try here in case anyone had any ideas? I'm wondering whether there is a specific port or ports that needs to be open for the content catalogue to be accessed?

Default Re: Can't access online content catalog

Welcome to TalkGraphics Rob

This question came up recently. Have you renewed your subscription to the 365 support? Most Xara programs are now past the time limit. And if you have not renewed then I believe access to the Online Content Catalog is cut off.

I think in the question I saw previously re: this the member had renewed and that was not the case.

Thanks for the thought but I don't think it is that as my Xara account says that I still have 18 days left. (As an aside, I can't easily see how to renew my subscription as I am happy to do that?)

Also, I can access the content catalogue OK so long as I go through a Wi-Fi hotspot instead of my home router.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-H View Post
    Also, I can access the content catalogue OK so long as I go through a Wi-Fi hotspot instead of my home router.
    That could mean that the security software of your router is blocking access to the content catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    That could mean that the security software of your router is blocking access to the content catalog.
    Thanks, I'm guessing that could be the issue but I can't see anything in the router setup that seems to be causing the problem. It is set not to block any services. I do have UPnP turned off but I've tried turning it back on and reinstalling Xara Designer and I still can't access the content catalogue. I'm wondering whether there is some particular port or service that Xara needs to use? Any ideas to try would be very welcome. (I have a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 router).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-H View Post
    Thanks, I'm guessing that could be the issue but I can't see anything in the router setup that seems to be causing the problem. It is set not to block any services. I do have UPnP turned off but I've tried turning it back on and reinstalling Xara Designer and I still can't access the content catalogue. I'm wondering whether there is some particular port or service that Xara needs to use? Any ideas to try would be very welcome. (I have a Netgear Nighthawk D7800 router).
    Rob, can you access http://downloadsv12.xara.com/web/catalog/index.html

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've just tried and, no I can't. It times out just like when I try to access it from inside Xara. That is very odd as I'm not aware of any other web pages that I can't reach.

I've just tried running the Windows 10 networking troubleshooter with that address and had the following reply:

Windows received an HTTP error message: 403 (Forbidden) from "downloadsv12.xara.com"

Contact the owner of the remote site for permission.

Windows can reach this site but you do not have permission to access the content.

That could be a useful pointer, thanks. I'll let Xara support know.

Sorry to reply to my own post but I think I have now got to the bottom of the issue. Thanks very much for your input which gave me the idea.

I've just tried accessing the Xara site via a VPN and it works perfectly either from a browser or from inside Xara. This must mean that it is my (dynamic) Talktalk IP address that is causing the issue. My guess is that it must have been blacklisted as Talktalk ones do seem to be periodically.

Thanks again for the help.

Great!. I hope this is a permanent solution Rob. Thanks for the update.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Rob, glad you've zeroed into the problem,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat