Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transpare

Hey guys. Many thanks for the detailed replies. Very kind and attentive of you!

Some points:

a) Regarding options>photo editing, I'm referring just to the first group of options (snapshot below), since I'm not transferring the PNG file to be edited out of XDP. The issue is indeed related with XDP "Masters" and the PNG output, which doesn't apply transparency.

b) I recorded my screen (https://goo.gl/f27FGd) showing how I'm using XDP seamless with VEGAS video editing, which is a very handy workflow. The only issue is the PNG transparency indeed.

c) Following suggestions, I used "save as" and selected "true color + alpha", overwriting the original file. The PNG is saved and transferred automatically with transparency to VEGAS timeline. The shortcoming is when I open again the PNG for further editing (which will in fact open the .xar file under "masters" folder), you need to pay attention to have performed the following steps earlier: (1) save the file first and just after that (2) save as. Otherwise, XDP will open an older version not corresponding to your last editing. In the video above I also showed this part of the process.

d) The ideal solution would be a possible tweak in XDP Windows Registry, as suggested in the thread. Then XDP would save with transparency automatically without the additional step "save as", making the workflow faster and more reliable. I just opened a support ticket asking if it is possible. As soon as I have news I'll update the thread.

Cheers,
    Carlos_Cadu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kgdrKO9.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	117993
    Last edited by cadudesun; 15 June 2017 at 03:36 PM. Reason: correct link for video

Default Re: XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transpare

Hi Carlos, I'm not into video editing a great deal but John Brown (who I believe is Browj2 on TG but I might be wrong) has a great video for
    Tutorial XX Magix Movie Edit Pro with Xara - Animated overlay

which uses Magix Movie Edit Pro & Xara together to create the effect you're after I believe. Whether your movie editing suite has a similar option I've no idea.

http://Tutorial XX Magix Movie Edit ...imated overlay
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 15 June 2017 at 06:02 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

ok it looks like maybe the overwrite does not work for the xar file in the masters folder ?

maybe egg's link will help... I don't actually do this sort of work with xara either, so I really have nothing to add at this point... sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Egg for the "Movie Edit Pro & Xara" link. Actually, that integration showed in the video goes beyond what I'm performing with VEGAS + XDP. Probably, because "Movie Edit" is from MAGIX too, then the integration with XDP supports even animation round trip. VEGAS was bought last year by MAGIX, and maybe in the future that could be implemented as well.

Regarding my first post in this thread (which applies to any PNG scenario using "masters" folder), I received a reply from Xara recognizing it is a kind of bug and will be fixed:
    "This appears to be fixed internally, we're just awaiting for the fix to be deployed via a patch. Apologies for the inconvenience caused."

Cheers!

good to know
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Great.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,

Could this thread be elevated to “Dear Xara”?

The issue with XDP "Masters" and the PNG output not retaining transparency, which Xara, more than two years ago, had recognized as a bug and compromised to deliver a fix was never fixed actually. For a clear understanding of the issue, I just recorded a new screencast: http://bit.ly/333g9JE

The last reply I had through Xara support service mentioned that the fix hasn’t received Xara’s attention because other users haven't requested support, so there is no priority on addressing it. The full history of the support around the issue is shown below.

I thought that elevating the thread to “Dear Xara” could show them that other users have interest in a fix.

Thank you!
    Carlos

--------------------------------
    Jun 15, 2017
    Ticket #DGV-688-15189
    […]
    This appears to be fixed internally, we're just awaiting for the fix to be deployed via a patch. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.
    Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

Tue, 4 Jul 2017
    Ticket #DGV-688-15189
    […]
    I can't say when we're planning to release the next update as dates can change unfortunately but hopefully within the next week or so.
    Kindest regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd

16 Feb 2018
    Ticket #JRT-183-77337
    […]
    Again unfortunately there has been no movement on this.
    Generally improvements and fixes are prioritised based on how many people it affects. Since we have had no other customers requesting this fix it is unlikely that this will be fixed soon.
    I have again however added your feedback again to the system.
    Apologies for the inconvenience.
    Kind Regards
    Customer Support
    Xara Group Ltd